Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005

New helmet light started

I got some of the XML optics that were posted in this thread...

Good XML optic

I started thinking about a new helmet light design to try them in. I had an XPG on a test setup and tried one of these optics with it. It seems like a pretty nice beam. Has anyone completed a light using these optics with XPGs? Seems like it might make a little tighter beam than an XML.

Anyway, here are a couple pics of the optic holder portion of the new housing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New helmet light started-dscn0928.jpg  

New helmet light started-dscn0933.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks nice mate. I'm actually using one of those optics on my Altair housing with an XP-G. I've got XM-L's in the outer 2 and an XP-G in the centre. It's a much tighter beam than the XM-L...perfect for a helmet light

mtbr member
    tidy and awesome, all in one! I was hoping someone would try those optics + XP-G/2, as I was considering going twin XP-G2 for my next helmet light, unless the mythical XM-L2 comes out first. I only want to go up to 2A at most, so it's not like there'll be a huge difference between the two.

Very much looking forward to the progress

mtbr member
    May 2005
    @deesta. Thanks! I was originally planning to go with some under driven XMLs on this light, but after doing a quick check with my test rig and an XPG and your experience using an XPG, I'm leaning away from the XML.

@matt. This is not going to be an all-in-one. It will have remote 2 or 4 cell pack options. Lflex will be in the lighthead. Have not decided on an integral switch or wired remote yet.

mtbr member
    oh no, I wasn't suggesting that at all Sounds pretty much like what I'm planning, hence the interest in the results! I'd suggest thinking about a wired remote, both for packaging reasons (light can be smaller/ lighter) and convenience (slap helmet vs. grope for light). I was dead set on making a wireless remote, but it's just too hard for me to do from scratch and the space it would need would make the light too large.

Ever thought about using delrin for the back cover to save weight? It's something I'm considering, as long as I can get enough surface area on the housing.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Another piece partially done. Still some more fins to cut and holes to drill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New helmet light started-dscn0940.jpg  

New helmet light started-dscn0944.jpg  

mtbr member
    interesting! Not at all what I expected either. How's it going to mount to your helmet and where's the Lflex going to go?

looking forward to the rest of it too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    interesting! Not at all what I expected either. How's it going to mount to your helmet and where's the Lflex going to go?

looking forward to the rest of it too.
    im guessing the lflex will mount under the top set of fins.

mtbr member
    Nice work Vancbiker. You do have me baffled though.
    Can't wait to see the puzzle unfold.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    HomeGrown has it. The driver goes in a pocket behind the upper fins. The holes in LED mount surface go into that pocket and will be where the wiring from the driver to the LED will pass.

I'm planning on a version of the bent sheetmetal mount style that I use on my earlier helmet lights. That mount allows easy up/down adjustment.

My hope is this layout will allow mounting very low and forward on the helmet and provide enough area to cool a pair of XMLs. To that end, if cooling seems adequate, I'll mill off the lower small fins.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Doh! I built this light for LEDs on 20mm stars. I typically use the 10mm stars and don't have anything in 20mm. Since I have to order LEDs, I am wavering on XPG2s or XMLs but leaning toward the XPG2s for a slightly tighter beam. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    XP-G2s, just because I want you to take the beamshots No, really, they should have a similar Vf at 1.5A or so and only be slightly lower in output, with a tighter beam.

mtbr member
    As it's going to be a helmet light and you want a tight beam I would go XPG2 .If the optics work with the XPE2 then maybe that's the answer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You can push XP-G2 way beyond 1.5A. I've moded a flashlight from XR-E to G2 and am runing it at 3.2A. No angry blue even after 10min of use

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Weird - I just accidentally fried a G2 in a 6up series array when I accidentally set my driver to 3A. Popped in about 20 seconds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Bad heat path? Crappy PCB?

mtbr member
    I have some XPG on 20mm stars I'd be happy to mail to you if you want to get your light going. You could come down to B'ham and pick them up if you want them really quickly!
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    PM sent! BTW I'm in the "other" Vancouver. Across the river from Portland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    PM sent! BTW I'm in the "other" Vancouver. Across the river from Portland
    Oh, well send me your address and I'll get them in the mail!
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Had a quick play with my revamped spare commuter light (XM-L @1.5A) in the parking lot last night - went from CW T6 or U2 (can't remember, think it was a T6) and Regina to NW T6 and LED DNA narrow optic. Definitely prefer the beam - much wider hotspot with a lovely smooth transition from spot to spill.

I quickly compared it to my all-in-one light with pretty much the same LED and bare LC1 optic and the LED DNA hotspot was ~2x as wide although the spill was about the same. Can't remember about the cut off, although I think it was a bit sharper on the LC1. No beam shots, it was below freezing and a hot dinner was waiting at home.

I'm really interested to see what the beam is like with an XP-G2.

On the downside - I now want NW tints in all my lights

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    Had a quick play with my revamped spare commuter light (XM-L @1.5A) in the parking lot last night - went from CW T6 or U2 (can't remember, think it was a T6) and Regina to NW T6 and LED DNA narrow optic. Definitely prefer the beam - much wider hotspot with a lovely smooth transition from spot to spill.

I quickly compared it to my all-in-one light with pretty much the same LED and bare LC1 optic and the LED DNA hotspot was ~2x as wide although the spill was about the same. Can't remember about the cut off, although I think it was a bit sharper on the LC1. No beam shots, it was below freezing and a hot dinner was waiting at home.

I'm really interested to see what the beam is like with an XP-G2.

On the downside - I now want NW tints in all my lights
    Good info! I'm not gluing the stars down on this light so I can easily swap emitters. I'll start with XPGs, then try others when I get some on 20mm stars. I'm thinking about trying the NW tint as well though I have been happy enough with CW to date.

mtbr member
    no worries I'll get round to some beam shots as soon as I can (feel my fingers outside) to see if I can capture the differences. The LC1 probably throws further, but I don't like small hotspots.

As for NW tints - try it and you'll find it hard to go back. The improved colour rendering and contrast make a big difference in the woods, particularly when you're trying to pick out slippery angled roots hiding underneath a thick layer of leaves (not that I came off last night or anything..!). Besides, as cheap as LEDs are now, you won't be out much if you don't like it

mtbr member
    Iíve just received some of these DNA 10 degree optics, plonked one on an XPG. The beam is quite wide when compared to the Regina.
    A more accurate description would be a much bigger hotspot and no outer ring.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty View Post
    The beam is quite wide when compared to the Regina.
    A more accurate description would be a much bigger hotspot and no outer ring.
    That was about my thought with an XPG. Less focused than the Regina but approximately the same total angle.

A little more progress on the housing. Driver cover is made. Still have to do a mount and cable entry holes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New helmet light started-dscn0960.jpg  

New helmet light started-dscn0962.jpg  

Last edited by Vancbiker; 11-09-2012 at 08:50 AM. Reason: spelling correction

mtbr member
    Nice stuff. Are you doing this manually or CNC?

I have just found an old housing that I made years ago and these optics fit so now have a twin XPG S2 bin version with a nice 2b tint that I will go for a ride with tonight. If I like it then I will make a new housing. So far it looks like I will.

I think you'll be pleased with yours. Nice smooth beam!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast