Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    that's a bugger. You should offer it on here, I'm sure there are plenty that would pay postage + beer for such a cool housing!

my thoughts on making it low profile - have the LEDs hanging off the front like mk.1, but have the driver compartment perpendicular to the LEDs and at the top, essentially making a right angle to fit on the front of your helmet. I'm planning on a slightly less extreme version of the same, with the cover for the driver compartment underneath, so the Lflex is bonded directly to the top of the housing. As the driver is so small relative to the LEDs, you can then afford to use the metal either side of the driver pocket for fins.

unfortunately my drawingfoo = poo, so you'll just have to use your imagination

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    I always am slightly dissatisfied with each new design I do. That way I can justify building another! ........
    Will someone please explain that to my wife?

She also doesn't understand why I don't want to get rid of any of my multiple old lights - even my acesalot builds. I tell her it would be like giving our kid away, but again, she doesn't buy it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    my thoughts on making it low profile - have the LEDs hanging off the front like mk.1, but have the driver compartment perpendicular to the LEDs and at the top, essentially making a right angle to fit on the front of your helmet.
    You are pretty much on the money with how I am laying out the new arrangement.

mtbr member
    Vancbiker, it's a shame that your not happy with the first design after all that work but then I suppose getting it just how you want it is the whole point of DIY.

Is this the sort of thing you now have in mind?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New helmet light started-snippp.jpg  

New helmet light started-snippy.jpg  

help with the zip please
    and just to throw up another red herring, now that we know how good the beam is from the LED-DNA optics, have you thought about angling one of the LEDs down a degree or two to spread the beam along the trail better?

As for the drawing yeti, I envisage the fins on the top, the two LED cavities not being as deep, and the driver sitting in a pocket under the fins at right angles to the LEDs. Then again if we managed to get some round bottom finns on their somewhere that would also be good.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty View Post
    Vancbiker, it's a shame that your not happy with the first design after all that work but then I suppose getting it just how you want it is the whole point of DIY.

Is this the sort of thing you now have in mind?
    Yes, your drawing is pretty close to what I have in mind. I'm not bothered by the first being a flop, that's what prototypes are for. I have the machine and cutters and the aluminum is free so a few hours is all I'm out.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    and just to throw up another red herring, now that we know how good the beam is from the LED-DNA optics, have you thought about angling one of the LEDs down a degree or two to spread the beam along the trail better?
    Since this is for the helmet I think I'll stick with parallel beams(plus the optic holder is already made). For a bar light though I like the idea.

mtbr member
    You are pretty much on the money with how I am laying out the new arrangement.
    great minds think alike, apart from when one of them realises he can't do what he suggested because the mount wouldn't work

mtbr member
    May 2005
    After about 8 hours in the shop over the past week, the revised design is ready for the public
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New helmet light started-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    One pic at a time posting from my phone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New helmet light started-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Lovely! Nice and compact.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I"ll post a few more pics tomorrow, it's a PITA using my phone

mtbr member
    Ooohh, Do Like!
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Wow thats a nice tiny light

help with the zip please
    8 hrs in the shop and you can't get it smaller than that?

Just kidding, but I did have to look several times to work out how the front related to the side pic.

Looking good.

mtbr member
    I love this light. It has given me an idea for a bar light.

I hope you like the beam once it's finished.

mtbr member

I can only imagine what it was like cutting those tiny threads.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Some more views to help show how it is built. Weight is 45 grams with mount. Probably another 20 in leds, optics, driver, etc. Just got my cable today so can assemble it this week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New helmet light started-dscn1011.jpg  

New helmet light started-dscn1014.jpg  

New helmet light started-dscn1017.jpg  

New helmet light started-dscn1019.jpg  

mtbr member
    V.2 is very good looking. It's small and low on the helmet which would be good. I especially like that the driver is part of the body. I think I read that you plan on doing 2 XML this time? I think that would be sweet - you could run them at a sort of medium level that is aproximately equal to 2 XPG most of the time and really crank it up when you hit a nice downhill run. I wonder how fast you would have to go to keep 2 XML cool enough running at 2.8 or 3A?

I wish I still had access to the CNC at school. Would love to make one of these.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    I wonder how fast you would have to go to keep 2 XML cool enough running at 2.8 or 3A?

I wish I still had access to the CNC at school. Would love to make one of these.
    I'll figure out the surface area and see what that looks like. It has loads of fin area so I think it would run pretty cool even at high current.

Only the outside profile of the optic holder piece was CNC'd. The rest was done on a manual milling machine. Even the optic holder could be done on a manual mill with a rotary table.

mtbr member
    I'll figure out the surface area and see what that looks like. It has loads of fin area so I think it would run pretty cool even at high current.

Only the outside profile of the optic holder piece was CNC'd. The rest was done on a manual milling machine. Even the optic holder could be done on a manual mill with a rotary table.
    I don't have very much in the way of manual skills. I'm more of a cad to code kind of person as I've mostly worked with CNC in a production environment. I can optimize the crap out of an Amada laser production run though
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    There is about 14 sq. in. of surface area on the housing. That will allow running XMLs at 2A with moderate airflow. I'm planning to build it initially with a pair of XPGs until I put together another Cutter order. With XPGs at 1A this will stay cool at a walking pace.

Now I'm back to looking at the home anodizing thread and dreaming......

mtbr member
    May 2005

waiting impatiently

Found one of the XPGs I was going to install is toast so I have to wait for my Cutter order to arrive to finish. Had to do something so installed the Lflex and cables.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New helmet light started-dscn1028.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have more of them if you want. One was burnt out?
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yeah, one was burned out. No worries I've got a big Cutter order coming that includes some neutral tint XMLs that I'm going to put in this. Some LEDDNA optics sent your way the other day. Should show up today or tomorrow I guess.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast