Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 105
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yetibetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,781
    Just got in, freezing cold. Time to make a new housing.

    Even though the hotspot is much bigger than with the Regina they throw just as far, if not further.

    Very reflector sort of beam for an optic with plenty of spill(that I didn't notice indoors)but no sharp cut off.

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,594
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty View Post
    Just got in, freezing cold. Time to make a new housing.

    Even though the hotspot is much bigger than with the Regina they throw just as far, if not further.

    Very reflector sort of beam for an optic with plenty of spill(that I didn't notice indoors)but no sharp cut off.
    Where do you get the DNA 10 degree optics?

    Nevermind, found them on ebay. Also, us the XML U3 cool white the XML to get at this point?
    Last edited by gticlay; 11-09-2012 at 11:12 AM.
    "It looks flexy"

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yetibetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,781
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    Where do you get the DNA 10 degree optics?
    Good old ebay............ see the link in Vancbikers first post.

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,307
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty View Post
    Nice stuff. Are you doing this manually or CNC?
    The outside profile of the optic holder part was CNC'd, the rest is all manual milled. It weighs 32g so am wanting to trim out a bit more metal.

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yetibetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    The outside profile of the optic holder part was CNC'd, the rest is all manual milled. It weighs 32g so am wanting to trim out a bit more metal.
    Well I wish I had your skills.

    I think that I will make a helmet and bar light with these optics as I think that the beam can do both jobs.

    I'll either run the helmet light at 1.2 A and the bar light at 750 MA or run them both at the same current and do the helmet light as a double and the bar light as a triple.

    Nice lens none the less.

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,307
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty View Post
    Well I wish I had your skills.
    What are you talking about! You've built some awesome lights.

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,594
    I've been running a single helmet light on my night rides lately. It's an OG L332 XPG with the Carlco narrow optic (which isn't all THAT narrow). I think I can ride as fast with it as when I run my XPG 7-up plus a helmet light with a few occasions where our trails get super fast.

    What do you guys think would be the optimum medium throw, medium spot helmet light (building yourself)? I happened on a 4-up XPG board (and optic) that just seems like it might rock if you ran it @ 1.5A.

    Dunno, but I'm sort of getting obsessed with building something like that and would love your opinions.
    "It looks flexy"

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,307
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    What do you guys think would be the optimum medium throw, medium spot helmet light (building yourself)? I happened on a 4-up XPG board (and optic) that just seems like it might rock if you ran it @ 1.5A
    The cute3 narrow is kind of a blend of flood and a bit of throw. It is too wide for my preference on the helmet. I'm currently running 2 of them on the bars and am sort of happy with it, but I plan to build something tighter.

    Hard to say about the quad. Is it the GT4 optic? I've not built with that and beamshots i have seen look pretty floody.

    So far the best helmet setup I have used is a 2 up XPG with Regina reflectors. Based on Yeti's comments, I have hopes these leddna optics will make a nice beam. The new XPG2 might really be the ticket.

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,594
    Well, for now, I'm content to build up my 1440 lumen L334 Quazzle unit with the Carlco narrow - an additional 340 lumen would be nice. I'll be watching this thread and plotting my next light. Buuuhaaaahahahaaaa! I need to calm down!
    "It looks flexy"

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yetibetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,781
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    I've been running a single helmet light on my night rides lately. It's an OG L332 XPG with the Carlco narrow optic (which isn't all THAT narrow). I think I can ride as fast with it as when I run my XPG 7-up plus a helmet light with a few occasions where our trails get super fast.

    What do you guys think would be the optimum medium throw, medium spot helmet light (building yourself)? I happened on a 4-up XPG board (and optic) that just seems like it might rock if you ran it @ 1.5A.

    Dunno, but I'm sort of getting obsessed with building something like that and would love your opinions.
    If the 4-up XPG optic is a GT4 it is very floody and doesn't seem to get a lot of light out the front. i.e. Not very efficient. (my very old quad XRE is brighter).

    A good all rounder is the DNA 10 degree on the XPG as it's brighter and wider with just as much throw as the Regina but not at all what I would call wide. lots of soft light around the outside of the main beam and no sharp cut off. Floats my boat anyway

    I tried to take some beamshots tonight but had the camera on the wrong settings.
    Might have another go if I can get my arse off the sofa.

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yetibetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,781
    I have added some beam shots to the beamshot sticky so as not to hijack Vancbikers thread.

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,307

    When the mind's eye and reality don't jive

    Finished up the mount and put it on the helmet. Not very good looking, maybe it will work well enough to offset that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New helmet light started-dscn0963.jpg  

    New helmet light started-dscn0966.jpg  


  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,301
    it's going to be dark when you use it, so who gives a monkeys? As long as it works!

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yetibetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,781
    It's original, unique, different, & clever. That's got to be good.

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OverTheHill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    328
    Innovative solutions always look a bit weird at first. Personally I'm into function over form and this light has some great features which push the boundaries of what is possible just that bit further and inspire the rest of us.

    Maybe one day all lights will look like this.

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    278
    its not bad looking. nice and low profile.

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: beecrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    174
    I think it is awesome!

    You guys have inspired me to start my own project- keep up the good work!

    Don
    09 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,307
    I always am slightly dissatisfied with each new design I do. That way I can justify building another! I just started a different base piece for this light tonight. I think it will be a nicer looking, but still innovative package.

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    15
    very nice start

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,594
    Can we see the front?
    "It looks flexy"

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,307
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    Can we see the front?
    Here you go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New helmet light started-dscn0968.jpg  


  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,594
    Looks good to me. Did the LEDs not show up?
    "It looks flexy"

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,307
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    Did the LEDs not show up?
    Came in today. Thanks! I hope to test fit them tomorrow.

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ofroad'bent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    957
    Looks interesting. Might be sleeker if you had the big fin section below the light, wide side down, he said typing from an armchair since he can't machine things...

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    Might be sleeker if you had the big fin section below the light, wide side down,.
    I'm going to toss this version in the scrap pile. I have already made a start on version 2. Still going to have the driver above and behind the LEDs, just more compact. The original goals remain the same.

    Low profile
    Close to helmet front
    Enough area to cool 2 XMLs at 2A
    Around 50 grams

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •