Thread: New DX lights

mtbr member
    May 2010

New DX lights

I've not really been thinking about lights for a while, but it is starting to get dark again in the UK :-(

Anyway, although this will upset a few people, I've been looking on DX at the lights for my other half, it seems things have moved on since the magicshine started to upset people, has anyone tried any of the new lights? - seems they can be had for about $30.

Cheap Head/ Rear/ Wheel Led Lights for Bicycle/ Mountain Bikes on Sale - DX

Some familiar designs on there ;-)

PRETENDURO
    I gave up on ordering stuff from DX last year. Had too many orders wherein the items were “in stock”, but kept getting delays, and then finally after a couple of months they admitted to the items having been out of stock. By the time I finally got my parts (3A driver boards and some XPEs) for my light builds, the days started getting longer, so I had abandoned my light build.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    friendly post:

this is the DIY thread - soldering, batteries, leds, thermal paste, housings, building, etc.

There are a million threads here on the subject of DX lights ( and more! ) for your enjoyment.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    By the time you replace the dodgy batteries, fix the ordinary soldering & replace the blue tint LED, $30 lights pretty much are DIY aren't they ?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    friendly post:

this is the DIY thread - soldering, batteries, leds, thermal paste, housings, building, etc.

There are a million threads here on the subject of DX lights ( and more! ) for your enjoyment.
    I'm quite aware of that thanks :-), I've built my share of them too, I posted here because I respect the views from the builders. Plus everyone likes to have a moan about cheap lights from china.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I've replaced dx with fasttech as my usual supplier. I hope I don't sound too much like a raving cheerleader/spammer, but FT actually ships product in a timely fashion. (Imagine that!)

Please let us know how the diy tinkering goes with whatever you purchase.
    The study du jour: can one's reputation be artificially inflated by simply putting a request for rep in one's sig?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLee View Post
    I'm quite aware of that thanks :-), I've built my share of them too, I posted here because I respect the views from the builders. Plus everyone likes to have a moan about cheap lights from china.
    Fair enough. Not sure why I posted that, must have been in a cranky mood. I read the DIY forum for the same reason, because the members generally know a ton.

carry on

mtbr member
    I prefer FT too - DX is a random crapshoot now and it's no cheaper either.

The spot welds on the batteries, even the half decent BAK celled batteries, is just shocking though. Looks like a drunk blind person did it and not especially well at that.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I ended up getting a solarstorm x2 on eBay for less than £25, will post some beamshots against the original Magicshine and xpg/blackcat Regina and the liberator.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I made an order from XD on 8/24. The tracking ticket at as of 8/26 states "NULL" at location "PVG", which is the postal address for Shanghai Pudong International Airport. So I'm going to assume that my package is now on a plane headed to the States.

I'll have to try FT next time, packages from HK will ship faster than packages from inside the Shanghai province.
    Happy Trails!