OK, maybe not new, but improved. A couple of weeks ago when Dinotte had a sale I decided I couldn't pass it up and bought another taillight. To my surprise it wasn't the same as the one I bought shortly after they were released. I don't recall seeing notice of the changes here or on the Dinotte site so I'll go over those I noticed-

1. New diffuser design. The new one appears to have less diffusion at the center of the light and about the same at the edges. I've only had them outside side by side, so I don't know if the beam is wider or narrower. I can tell you that at night it's hard to see a difference- though the new one might be a bit brighter when viewed head on- again it's hard to tell at night because the thing is so overpowering close up and I couldn't back more than about 30 feet away from them (in the yard).

2. New flashing modes. The old one had three solid brightness intensities and one flashing mode- groups of 5 bright pulses (two if you count the low battery 'limp home' mode). The new one retains the 3 solid intensities and has 3 selectable flash modes- the brightest is the groups of 5 pulses, but now the light stays on at a lower intensity between them. It also has a high/low pulse mode, and and on/off pulse mode.

3. New indicator LED functions. The old one had a green indicator LED to tell you it was on with a good battery, and a red indicator LED to warn you of a low battery. The new one has a blue indicator LED that flashes different rhythms to tell you which mode it's in- that's kind of silly with the flashing modes as the light is far brighter than the indicator, but very nice with the solid modes. When you're on the saddle and light conditions are changing it's hard to tell which constant mode you're in by just glancing down. Being able to just watch the indicator pulses is easier than cycling through the modes. (I happen to use all 3 different solid intensities for differing conditions- low for trail riding, medium for dusk and dark road riding, and high for day road riding, though I'll likely use the brightest flash mode with the new one).

4. New mount. (This was on the web site). This is the weakest improvement. It really did need a better mounting system, and the new one is a clever design, but quite bulky, especially for a road bike, and just not the elegant solution we've come to expect from Dinotte. They could have gotten away making the actual light mount about half as wide and had a much sleeker look.

5. Housing? I don't know if there's been another change or not. Both of mine are in the same housing as the 200L- 6 holes drilled in one side, but I just noticed in a relatively new Nash Bar catalog (No. 237) a picture of a Dinotte taillight that quite definitely has a different housing- this one finned, and with what looks like a third diffuser design. I don't know if that's a prototype picture, or something new.

Other changes? I'm not sure. Rob isn't blowing his own horn for some reason- and most of the improvements are worth bragging about. Maybe it's still evolving. My only suggestion- more light. No, I'm not insane. (OK, maybe a little). The bright mode is already far too bright for most nighttime use, but I'm not sure if it's bright enough for summer time high noon riding on 2 lane 55 MPH roads. (The ambient light level is pretty bright between sun baked dry grass covered hills here in Cali, maybe something Rob doesn't see back east.) If it's any consolation you can certainly see it in even the brightest conditions ( when even bright blinkies just disappear), but it doesn't grab you and scream, "PUT DOWN THE CELL PHONE AND LOOK!" the way it does in most conditions.