I picked up a housing off the MTBR classifieds that someone had purchased from the " DIY done cheap" thread......
DIY done cheap
Was barely able to cram a b2Flex in there with 2 XP-G R5 using Laura RS optics.
I used this connector from DigiKey
and this panel mount for the connector
XP-G's I picked up from Cutter
b2Flex I got from George.
Laura Optics from Newark
Switch I picked up from ebay
Used 20 ga silicone hookup wire to wire everything together inside, besides the switch which I used some random wire I pulled from a computer. Small ga, like 26.
Mounting bracket from Cateye. H-31 bracket and used the mount from an H-24 as it's base is wider, and more stable IMO.
I drilled, tapped and countersunk 2 m3 holes to hold the L bracket.
Drilled and tapped an m4 for the mount, also into the L bracket, through the housing.
Used arctic silver 5 between the bracket and housing.
I mounted the stars with arctic alumina as I was very tight on space and didn't want to modify the Lauras anymore than I had to already....more on that later.
The b2Flex is mounted directly behind the stars on the L bracket, at an angle. I had to remove a good sized chunk of the bottom of the L bracket to fit the driver in there.
This housing was not made to fit a b2Flex, and it was the hardest part of the build.
I will take some pics next time I have it apart.
Had to modify the base of the Laura housing to make some room for the wires. That 20ga silicone stuff is way too big for a build like this.
So what I did was heat up an old electronics screwdriver I had laying around with a micro torch, and used it as an iron to melt grooves into the laura mount for the wires to trace through, and the blobs of solder.
Twas an easy mod and only took a few minutes.
I was really trying as hard as I could to not use a file or anything else that would create dust inside of the optics, so the melting option worked out really good.
Unlike my last build, the only thing glued together are the stars to the bracket.
I haven't taken measurements of the housing yet, but it is pretty small, and was very challenging to get everything to fit inside.
Beamshots to come later............
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Thread: New 2 XP-G Laura Build