mtbr member

Needs lights!!! ( please help)

Hello,
    I am going to do my first 24 Hour race on August 24-25. I need a pair of lights, one for my helmet and the other for my handle bars. Which are the best lights to get for these purposes? Money is somewhat of a concern but I need to know which lights are good and then go out and find a deal kind of thing. So please help me out. Thanks

Paul
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Seing as money is a concern perhaps you should state a budget so we know what to work with. Best to state your budget and also if possible how much extra over-budget you're willing to go so we know your max range.

I know the new Dinotte 200L is $155 from www.dinottelighting.com in the 4xAA model. That is a spot light. I'm sure if you go with the 2006 Dinotte models before they did the 2007 upgrades you may be able to get a deal on a Dinotte 5W flood and 3W spot older models for cheaper as dealers don't want to get stuck with old stock. Also contact Dinotte's website. They are willing to work with you and many people have mentioned Dinotte's good service and often giving extras just to make sure you're covered. AA has an advantage that you can find those cells anywhere. If you go with a propritary battery or battery pack setup and the battery bonks on you you're screwed out of one light.

I'm not a racer but I am working towards my first 24hr soon. My thinking would be to have one light running off AA setup and the other off a battery pack or AA. I know battery packs canbe lighter if you go with li-ions and such but having a AA backup means if even the AA batteries are screwed up or something you can quickly get AA's anywhere. Just look for the guys with music in the ears and offer some snacks for batteries (hey worked for me once when my cells were dead nearing night fall in the trails).

Just my 2cents.

Grizzly
    I like the Switchback Series from Princeton Tec. For around the price of one HID you can get 2 solid LED lights. www.switchback321.com

However, with any lighting setup, if you want it to be race ready you will need 2 batteries, so you can burn one, while the other charges. What you could do is get a nice bright helmet or bar light, and a spare battery. The course would dictate what light is your primary light. If it is tight and techy, I'd go with a helmet light, if it is wide and fast, then a bar light might be better.

Then you could (echoing Zero's idea here) supplement the primary light with something like the Princeton Tec Corona or Eos, either of which could go on the helmet or bars, and both are quite affordable. I have used the Eos to compliment much brighter lights, and it works great. It takes AAA batteries so carrying spares is cheap and easy. The Corona can get you through a whole night on a few AA's.

Check the bike line-up at www.princetontec.com for details about the Eos and Corona.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    NiteRider just came out with a new X2 series of MiNewt LED lights. That means you can probably get good deals on the previous version.

I use the MiNewt (previous version) for commuting but don't know if it is bright enough for racing. Got it for about $130. There is also the MiNewt Dual which is two heads instead of one so the lights can be stacked.

If you can spring for the new MiNewt.X2 it is twice as bright and also comes in a dual head. The single can be had for about US$170-190.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Anybody tried this one?
    Princeton Tec Yukon Xenon LED

mtbr member
    right now the switchback 3 seems to be the one I am volleying for. Thanks for the help
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have the Princeton Tec "Yukon Bike". I consider it as a bare minimum second light for an easy flat trail I know well. After using this light a few times to get hooked on night rides, I got a pair of DiNottes.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero_Enigma
    Seing as money is a concern perhaps you should state a budget so we know what to work with. Best to state your budget and also if possible how much extra over-budget you're willing to go so we know your max range.

I know the new Dinotte 200L is $155 from www.dinottelighting.com in the 4xAA model. That is a spot light. I'm sure if you go with the 2006 Dinotte models before they did the 2007 upgrades you may be able to get a deal on a Dinotte 5W flood and 3W spot older models for cheaper as dealers don't want to get stuck with old stock. Also contact Dinotte's website. They are willing to work with you and many people have mentioned Dinotte's good service and often giving extras just to make sure you're covered. AA has an advantage that you can find those cells anywhere. If you go with a propritary battery or battery pack setup and the battery bonks on you you're screwed out of one light.

I'm not a racer but I am working towards my first 24hr soon. My thinking would be to have one light running off AA setup and the other off a battery pack or AA. I know battery packs canbe lighter if you go with li-ions and such but having a AA backup means if even the AA batteries are screwed up or something you can quickly get AA's anywhere. Just look for the guys with music in the ears and offer some snacks for batteries (hey worked for me once when my cells were dead nearing night fall in the trails).

Just my 2cents.
    Send me a message and we can talk...

Thanks!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com