mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Need lights for $100-$200

I need some riding lights.
    These are the requirements:
    1) 3-4 hour burn time (with decent amount of light output)
    2) a battery/battery charger that won't allow me to overcharge and ruin the batteries
    3) charge times that can be done overnight
    4) bar mountable or both bar and helmet mountable
    5) prefer a frame mounted battery so I can still use my water bottle cage for water

This is how they will be used:
    1) almost always for road riding at night. I need some lights for safety reasons. Cars need to see me coming and hopefully from a long way away.
    2) every now and then i will do xc rides with them on trails that I am familiar with

What do you guys suggest?
    Thanks,
    Garrett

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well, the TrailTech with NiMH battery comes in at about $200 on their site. Should be plenty of light, and I do believe that it has enough runtime.

Forgiven
    Niterider Minewt. It meets everything you need.

mtbr member
    The Dinotte 200l AA also fits your bill. It will run 3 hours on low, only an hour on high. It uses rechargeable AA NiMh batteries which only cost about $10 a set so it's easy to keep a back up set on hand. (It even comes with a smart charger). You can even use Alkaline or Lithium AAs in a pinch.
    To the troll mobile, away...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The 200L will run 2-2.5 hours on high. I have two of them and they are great! Cheap replacable batteries.

BBW
    mtbr member
    I got the 200L with lithium Ion batteries, they last 4 hours on high (comes with 2). Has smart charger and amazing amount of light. Handle bar and helmet mount. Smart/fast charger. Doesn't get any better than that for the light. Spend the extra 30$ and get the lithium

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssuperlight
    The 200L will run 2-2.5 hours on high. I have two of them and they are great! Cheap replacable batteries.
    Are you talking about the AA version of the Dinotte? What kind of batteries are you using?
    To the troll mobile, away...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yes it is the AA version. I'm using a few different brands of batteries. A decent battery over 2500 m will work fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Get the Niterider Minewt, sweet light and quite bright.
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack On Wheels
    Well, the TrailTech with NiMH battery comes in at about $200 on their site. Should be plenty of light, and I do believe that it has enough runtime.
    I can vouch for the effectiveness of this setup, very happy with my TrailTech. Best value out there for a HID 13 watt bulb.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=LT0522

for the bar

and a flash light for the helmet

see:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3786

get two flash lights one charger and 4 batteries for about 70 bucks

you can find mounts for the flash lights or just use a DYI rig...

that would get you about max 600 lum with a more likely 450 lum out put for 4 hours about 200 bucks...

then

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    fwiw, as far as being safe at night on the road your rear light may be more important than your front, as you can always back off a bit on a descent, but you can't just make people see you quickly from behind as they pass you in your lane, unless you are really lit up.

matt

Crunchatize me Capn'
    For my research I found L&M Stella N, Dinotte 200L AA, and the NiteRider MiNewt X.2. Due to the superior run times and the fact that it comes with both a helmet and bar mount, as well as L&M's excellent reputation, I went with the StellaN. I'm going to try and get some beam shots up in a week when it comes in. The only thing I didn't like, potential (I'll see when it gets here), is the charger for the L&M. It's not their Multi-Chem charger and I don't know if has an led on the one it does come with that shuts off after the battery is charged. Hopefully it will as even cheap chargers for AA rechargeables do. Here's what I liked and disliked about all three lights....

1. L&M Stella N
    - Superior run times with five hrs on high (I figure probably about four in cold weather - we'll see)
    - Both helmet and bar mounts
    - Excellent reputation for quality
    - NiMH battery doesn't take the cold as well as Li-Ion
    - Charger is only a trickle model not a smart charger and to buy one from L&M (which you have to do to not void the warranty) is over $100.00
    - Mounts don't appear to be quite as positionable as the MiNewt X.2

2. NiteRider MiNewt X.2
    - Li-Ion battery (better in the cold)
    - Smart Charger
    - Greater positioning in their mounting system
    - High beam is only 150 lumes and only 31/2 hr on high but at 92 lumens you can get 7hrs
    - Quality control can be iffy

3. Dinotte 200L AA
    - Highest light output of the three
    - Uses readily available rechargeable batteries you can get ANYWHERE just in case
    - Quality control seems to be excellent
    - Mounting system not as positionable as the MiNewt X.2
    - Low burn times
    - Comes with both mounts but you have to make sure you order the long cord version off the bat
    - 4 hour burn time at 134 lumens (50% of max power)

All companies seem to have excellent customer service.

Prices at AEBike.com are $153.00 for the Stella, $132 for the MiNewt X.2, $149 for the Dinotte direct from their website (without batteries and charger - $169 with)

I haven't found any place cheaper than AEBike. Not PricePoint, Jenson USA, Speedgoat, Performance, Nashbar, Cambria, REI, SpeedGoat, Colorado Cyclist.

You could also get the NiteRider SolMate from AEBike for $126 and it comes with both helmet and bar mounts, a smart charger. But it only has one power setting of 140 lumens and a runtime of four hours. It also uses a NiMH battery. You could also get the Sol for $8 cheaper but for that eight dollars savings you don't get a helmet mount - might as well get the SolMate.