Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need help to machine light body

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Rekkie 
#1 ·
Hi All

Well in short I don't have a lathe, so I'm hoping for a willing soul to machine a light body for me for some extra $. It's a loooong overdue build. I have most of the part, just need the Alu body. I have a design drawn out so it just needs to be made accordingly. I/we can changes if need be but I'm happy with the way it is.

Just a heads up, there is thread to be cut.

Here is a PDF if the body.

Zippyshare.com - Heatsink - Bike Light.pdf

Its a tripple Xm-L build.

Many thanks in advance:)

#5 ·
Brad's work here speaks for itself, but I can also say that he's done machining for me and from a customer service perspective, he was great. He improved my (very rough) design, delivered on time and on budget.

(And the project is still my favourite light!)

Reactions: emu26
#6 ·
Hi, yes I had a look at the easy2led housing. But like you mentioned, the surface area bugs me a bit.

Thanks for being willing Brad, but I was very lucky yesterday. My dad gave a brand new bench top lathe, for an early birthday so I'm ecstatic. Now I iust need to learn the ropes.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks for being willing Brad, but I was very lucky yesterday. My dad gave a brand new bench top lathe, for an early birthday so I'm ecstatic. Now I iust need to learn the ropes.
Very cool! Fortunately for you there are quite a few resources on the web to speed up the learning curve for working with a lathe.

#9 ·
Thanks guys! speaking of resources, Any GOOD places to go on the web to get some solid info on working on lathes?

I haven't had a lot of time yet but found some PDF files with basic information and so, but figure I can spend weeks searching for the right info or you guys can just share :yesnod:

#10 ·
For starters you really need to know how to set up your tooling, which for starters will be a turning tool, parting blade and boring bar. There are lots of good youtube vids on this, or even forums like practical machinist and peoples blogs. Then learn about feeds and speeds, especially for aluminium which will be your starting material if making lights.

At the end of the day your ears, eye's and hands will tell you if things are cutting right. Being able to feel the cutting through the carriage handwheels will often tell you if you are cutting too slow or too fast. Same as the sounds the piece makes as you cut it but this will come with experience.

What machine did you end up getting?

#15 ·
this is a good source of info:
Newbe needs advice

I've read through a few of the old manuals and they're still very relevant. Afterall, the principles haven't changed much in centuries!
Wow Thanks a lot! I've been busy going through all the links, really cool!

If your still interested I could take a crack at this. I need some cnc lathe projects for school. I have a lot of projects lined up for the mill, no lathe projects. This looks like it would be fun. Let me know.
PM sent

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.