mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Need advice on light placement - Betty + other

I'm extremely new to this night riding business, but the intention will be to tackle some fairly technical terrain. I'll be wanting a fair bit of light, so my first move was to pick up a Betty 6.

The initial test ride with it mounted as a helmet light was impressive, but I found my aim of the light tended to bob up and down so the light on the foreground seemed like it was flickering. I presume the answer is to move towards a classic bar mount and helmet mount twin light solution.

I'm aware that as a novice to all this, my observations may be way off mark and... I will be looking again at my helmet mount fitting anyway. What I want to know, is how much I should expect from using a single light and whether my single light setup is best on the bars or helmet. Next question (for a UK-based rider) is what light would complement my Betty. There is an obvious answer to back up the Betty with another light from Lupine, but I'd be pleased to hear about good options that are less of a financial stretch...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I keep my Betty on the bar and a Wilma on the helmet- works really well. I hear Lupine may have even more offerings next year. In my opinion, you should start looking at good helmet lights and there are SO many great options starting at $200.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You will find many opinions on the best way to set up lights. These are my personal opinions. If I had only one light I would put it on my helmet. A bar mounted light only lets you see what your bike is pointed at. If you are riding on a straight fire road this would work great, but not on twisty singletrack. I prefer to have two lights, one on the bars, and one on the helmet. I always have my brightest light on my helmet so if I am looking somewhere other than where the bars are pointed I still have a lot of light to see. My two lights together put out about 600-700 lumens. With a Betty on your helmet I wouldn't think a bar mounted light would really be neccesary as it would most certainly get washed out, unless it is another Betty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd move the Betty to the bar but if you do keep it on the helmet, keep it pointed a little further up. Two lights make a lot of sense, if only for safety purposes of having a lworking light in case something happens to one.

Bar- Betty; Helmet- Wilma, 600L,

You can reverse this but like I said, just point the Betty higher. I used just one light on the helmet for quite a while and now use two- bar and helmet. It really helps a lot to have two lights. I feel more confident, get better trail detail, and feel safer. Oh, I can ride faster too.

If you want something wireless and light, you can also look at the Exposure Joystick ($250) or one of the BR Lights units (tough and relatively inexpensive too).

For me, the Wilma is perfect on the helmet at 125 grams and 800ish lumens.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Ok, that has pretty much confirmed my thinking that I need another light. I tried pointing the Betty further up the trail, but I then lost confidence on what I was riding moment by moment (no definition on roots etc.). I'll have a go moving the Betty to the bar when I find a suitable complement to run on the helmet.