mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Need advice for Building a LED for dynamo generator

Im in the process of building LED for my dynamo generator and need some advice on what material I need to buy.

I will build the materials to build a rectifier (4 diodes and a capacitor) and need to get a LED, from Deal Extreme, SKU 11023 Cree Q5-WC and SKU 25518 2.7V~6V 3W Cree Circuit Board. Would these work? Anyone got suggestions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    Your circuit will work just fine. But you might want to think about adding the capability of keeping the light on when stationary?

I developed mine to do this:
    - SEE THIS FORUM POST
    - OR READ ABOUT IT ON MY BLOG!

The light:

TA-DA!

Enjoy your new light, don't forget to post when it's finished to share with us :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Don't use a driver. You'll probably blow it out. Most dynamos are rater at 3W/6V. This means they produce 500ma at 6V. Seems to work with your driver, right? Nope. That power rating is taken from German standards, which measure at very, very, low speeds, equivalent to 6-7mph as I recall. If you look at Bobblehat's first link, the tester was able to pull almost 12W from the dynamo at high speeds, which translates to almost 24 volts. You can direct-wire the LED, capacitor, and rectifier together (align all the + and - signs).

What I did for my current dynamo light was gut an old 1xCR123 light, taking out the switch from the rear (leaving a hole) and the driver. I managed to stuff in a bridge rectifier IC and a smoothing cap. Perfect package, runs without a problem at any speed. If you can find an XPG-R5 1xCR123/16340 light on DX you can take it apart and you'll have the housing and optics already solved.