• 11-29-2012
    flyingpig
    Need a 2S1P 2x18650 Li-Ion Pack with BMS and a trailtech connector
    I know, this is a very specific request, but I saw just this very thing on a link off of a page someone posted a couple of weeks ago (and I didn't buy it or bookmark it! :madman:). So,
    I'm looking for a sealed 2x18650 Li-ion pack, wired 2S1P, with a battery management chip and a trail-tech connector. I have something almost like this with one of the Batteryspace 2-cell holders, but it seems like every time I go over a bump, one of the cells goes out of contact, and then the BMS shuts down the pack due to low voltage. The only way to reawaken it is putting it on-charge, which is not too useful when I'm mid-ride. Grrr.

    Thanks!
  • 11-29-2012
    adrenalnjunky
    Batteryspace has what you want - just you'll have to put your own connector on it:

    Li-Ion 18650 Battery: 7.4v 2400 mAh (17.7 Wh) with 6" Prewire and Water Proof coating
  • 11-30-2012
    Ofroad'bent
    Batteryspace is good, but can kill you on shipping and hazardous charges.

    Cheaper alternative- Search for this on eBay:

    Sanyo 18650 7.4V 2500mAh Li-ion Battery Pack 2S W/PCM

    $22 including shipping, but you need to waterproof it yourself.

    A couple of layers of shrink wrap will adapt the connector tightly.

    For some reason the links are blocked.
  • 11-30-2012
    adrenalnjunky
    you're not the only one that's been unable to post ebay links lately - must be a new forum thing.

    testing:
    Sanyo 18650 7.4V 2500mAh Li-ion Battery Pack 2S W/PCM | eBay
  • 11-30-2012
    flyingpig
    Guess I need to look at fleabay more...
    I'm always a little wary about buying off of e-bay, but Batteryspace's shipping prices and policies blow my mind (and bank account...) away. Thanks, folks!
  • 11-30-2012
    adrenalnjunky
    don't forget DX - shipping may be a couple of weeks, but $20 for a pair of what everyone says are genuine Panasonic 3100's, with built in protection, isn't bad. If you have something like a Batteries+ in your area, they can weld tabs on for you. shrinkwrap or packing tape the batteries, then dip them in plasti-dip:

    panasonic 18650 - Free Shipping - DX

    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BDNOWIPmzv...0/DSC04491.JPG
  • 11-30-2012
    adrenalnjunky
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
    I'm always a little wary about buying off of e-bay, but Batteryspace's shipping prices and policies blow my mind (and bank account...) away. Thanks, folks!

    Am I correct in thinking you guys are in Canada?

    I've bought from them before and, while their shipping rates are a little high, $10 to UPS a couple of battery packs isn't that unheard of. No "hazardous charges" mentioned anywhere in their checkout process for a USA customer.

    Oh well - I just bought 2 of the DX 3100 2-packs I mentioned above, want to build me a couple of 2P packs for my new XML helmet light.
  • 11-30-2012
    flyingpig
    I DIY, but just want the "easy" button for this one...
    So, I'm proud to show off my home-made light and other gear on my bike, but I just don't have the time right now to dive into assembling my own battery packs. It doesn't help that getting the specs on protection boards is not that easy, and I'd need outside help to solder the batts (the thought of soldering the cells myself makes my sphincter clench...). It also costs more to DIY packs than to buy them ready-made. I don't let that stop me from building bike lights, but bike lights are _cooler_ than battery packs!

    Maybe next year, when I have a little more free time, I'd be interested in building my own packs. I'd really like a state-of-charge indicator on the pack itself; I don't see anyone making that in ready-made 18650 packs. But I don't have that time now, and I'll _need_ a reliable pack for my rides home from work for the next 4 months or so.

    Sorry, that's all rant-i-er than I really feel about this. My remaining pack shut itself down again on this morning's ride, and I'm not thrilled about prospect of the ride home (or taking the bus - ecch!). Thanks for the plasti-dip suggestion.
  • 11-30-2012
    adrenalnjunky
    Understood. It's easier when there's a local business that will do the spot welding on the packs for a few bucks. ~$20 for a pair of nice panasonic 3100ma protected batts, ~$5 for the welding, $5 for the connector, which I alredy have, and I have a can of plastidip at home already. 3.7v 6200ma (or 7.4v 3100ma in your config) protected pack for less than $30.

    there are PCB circuits out there that interface with a fuel gauge board- I've seen them sold here and there. and batteryspace or all-battery sell them, the last times I was looking for them at least.
  • 12-01-2012
    Ofroad'bent
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    Am I correct in thinking you guys are in Canada?

    I've bought from them before and, while their shipping rates are a little high, $10 to UPS a couple of battery packs isn't that unheard of. No "hazardous charges" mentioned anywhere in their checkout process for a USA customer.

    Oh well - I just bought 2 of the DX 3100 2-packs I mentioned above, want to build me a couple of 2P packs for my new XML helmet light.

    I'm in Canada, and shipping + haz. for one battery was almost $70!! I ended up doing a group order.
  • 12-01-2012
    Ofroad'bent
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
    So, I'm proud to show off my home-made light and other gear on my bike, but I just don't have the time right now to dive into assembling my own battery packs. It doesn't help that getting the specs on protection boards is not that easy, and I'd need outside help to solder the batts (the thought of soldering the cells myself makes my sphincter clench...). It also costs more to DIY packs than to buy them ready-made. I don't let that stop me from building bike lights, but bike lights are _cooler_ than battery packs!

    Maybe next year, when I have a little more free time, I'd be interested in building my own packs. I'd really like a state-of-charge indicator on the pack itself; I don't see anyone making that in ready-made 18650 packs. But I don't have that time now, and I'll _need_ a reliable pack for my rides home from work for the next 4 months or so.

    Sorry, that's all rant-i-er than I really feel about this. My remaining pack shut itself down again on this morning's ride, and I'm not thrilled about prospect of the ride home (or taking the bus - ecch!). Thanks for the plasti-dip suggestion.

    You could adapt a Magichine waterproof 2 cell pack. Not the best batteries, but already come in a waterproof cover. You just need to cut off the sleve on the female connector and use a little shrink-wrap to get the cable connection to seal to the male Trail-tech. 30 second job. I have done if several times. If you PM me I can send you a bit of heat-shrink if you don't have any.