No talent hack
    Nov 2010

Need 2 more parts to finish my first build

First, yes, I know.... I am taking way too long on this, but life is busy.

I have most of my first build waiting on final assembly now. I ordered some of the Magicshine extension cables (DX sku# 32751) to serve as the cable between the light and the battery (near the bottle cage). I need to get 2 more parts to wrap this up. My first light is being put together in a Hammond 1590LB box, so it is decently small.

Two parts left.

1. I need to get some cable glands for this power cable. How do I know what size I need to get? Or can someone tell me what they have used for it? (I am trying to get all the parts together so once the shipment from DX hits, I can wrap this up).

2. Battery holder. I have some of the 4s1p holder from DX that I ordered a while back. Have 4 18650s seems like overkill for this single XML light unless they are 2s2p to get more run time. So that is the question. I would like to either get a 2s1p or 2s2p battery holder for this light. I have seen some discussion about Digikey holder, but I am not real sure on how one goes about soldering to metal on plastic (I am a solder rookie, so I would likely melt the plastic). Is there a "better" option or what do I need to know about using digikey holders for this?

Thank you folk one more time for helping me sort details.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I was (well, still am to a degree) a serious soldering noob with craptastic equipment, and I had no problem soldering the digikey holders. Try and tin the parts first and things will go much easier.

As an aside, the digikey holder is tight with long protected batteries, so I drilled a 1" hole in the back with a holesaw for easier cell removal. They're still perfectly strong.
    The study du jour: can one's reputation be artificially inflated by simply putting a request for rep in one's sig?

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I tried in the past to use crappy equipment (fixed irons and such) and gave up trying to solder. Last summer I wanted to try again, so I bought a Hako FX-888. I have been MUCH more successful with the solder station, but I am still figuring out the right heat settings and stuff... the better equipment has made me MUCH more happy with my results.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    134 views. 0 help on the cable glands. Size help? Anybody?
    Fat guys need bikes too.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Mate for the cable glands I use a RS components one, part number 4583969. It is a M8 x 1mm thread so you will need to purchase a tap to cut the tread into your housing. It can fit a 5mm diameter cable

Buy Cable Glands Cable,gland,MINI,nickel plated brass,neoprene seal,IP68,M8 RS 52001880 online from RS for next day delivery.

I used to use a plastic cable gland with an M12 x 1.5 thread but this was a little big for a lot of lights however it can fit a 7mm diameter cable

Buy Cable Glands Cable,gland,MINI,nickel plated brass,neoprene seal,IP68,M8 RS 52001880 online from RS for next day delivery.

Light freak
    Looks like you are from Texas. You can get a cable gland from here in the States - Component: Water-Proof Cable Gland, For Cable Size 1.5- 5 mm With Locknut

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    if you're looking for a gland like the one Scar posted - that's called a PG-7 gland. If you're in a pinch, I'll mail you one, I think I have a handful. If you're in Tx, I'm next door in Louisiana - PM me your addy and you should have it by the weekend. Usually I'll just order a 10-15 count of them from ebay. comes out to way less than the $2.90/ea batteryspace wants for them.

Here's a USa seller with a 10pack for $10 shipped: Cable Gland Cable Strain Relief Pkg of 10 PG7 Type | eBay

mtbr member
    here's another option - decent postage too if you only want a couple
    NG-9511 Bud Industries | 377-1630-ND | DigiKey

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I went ahead and hit up Ebay for some. I can see MANY uses for these outside of just my lights, so having a few extra will be good. Thanks for the replies... now I need to buy batteries and a battery holder, but I will get holders at Digikey and likely will order them tonight.
    Fat guys need bikes too.