jim
    mtbr member

n00b question about XM-L, driver and battery

Hello all,

I'm looking to build a single LED XM-L type design, based on one of the many sled designs I've seen on the forum. I was planning on buying an L-Flex to drive it, but I'm a little uncertain about which battery to choose?

3.7v? 7.4v? I'd prefer to use a Task LED driver if possible, they're stateside vs a long wait time from DX, other places, etc.

However, suggestions are welcomed re: driver, nothing is set in stone at this time.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    You need a 3.7v battery with a single XM-L if using an L-Flex.
    The combination works very well.

jim
    mtbr member
    Thank you for your reply.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Taskled.com currently says nothing will be processed or shipped until NOV12. Still probably faster than dealextreme and 100x better.

mtbr member
    illumination supply also sell a good 3A AMC7135 based driver for not too much ($10-12 inc. postage I think), which is simpler than the Lflex but would work fine for what you need (has undervoltage and overtemp protection and a variety of selectable modes). It might also be worth PMing E1320 on Budgetlightforums as he sells custom programmed drivers for reasonable amounts. You might even be able to get a nice LED off him if you ask nicely.

None of them are quite as fancy as an Lflex, but for a single XM-L light you might not need all the bells and whistles, then you can put the money saved towards something else, like the battery

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    illumination supply also sell a good 3A AMC7135 based driver for not too much ($10-12 inc. postage I think), which is simpler than the Lflex but would work fine for what you need (has undervoltage and overtemp protection and a variety of selectable modes). It might also be worth PMing E1320 on Budgetlightforums as he sells custom programmed drivers for reasonable amounts. You might even be able to get a nice LED off him if you ask nicely.

None of them are quite as fancy as an Lflex, but for a single XM-L light you might not need all the bells and whistles, then you can put the money saved towards something else, like the battery
    Illuminationsupply is currently on backorder. I ordered some 3A AMC7135 drivers a couple weeks ago (they were not listed as backordered then) and I'am still waiting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    EL34 also sells the same 105C driver, but in the 2.8A version.
    2800ma Multi Mode Driver Board