Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mikeb
    Guest

    my niterider made love to a blowfish

    here's a photo of my niterider trail rat battery after i've charged it overnight.

    what causes the outer cover of the battery to expand like this?

    i got it used about five years ago--i don't know how old it was when i purchased it.

    it works fine otherwise. the run time is almost two hours on a full charge.

    can anyone give me an informed, plausable explanation to this?

    thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    I just let one RIP
    Reputation: Jwiffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,143
    It would appear heat generated while charging has caused the air inside the battery pouch to expand. Take the battery out of the pouch while you charge it if you can, so that it won't overheat.

  3. #3
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    11,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle
    It would appear heat generated while charging has caused the air inside the battery pouch to expand. Take the battery out of the pouch while you charge it if you can, so that it won't overheat.
    So... how come it did not contract when it cooled down...

    What sort of batteries are they? Nickel? Lithium?
    The Lithium Polymer pack I had on my "toy airplane" bulged pretty badly, and never worked again, when the motor shorted. I was lucky it did not ignite.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extrmtao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,272
    My buddies light did this and it was (supposedly) caused by a bad battery.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

    Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

  5. #5
    mikeb
    Guest
    **It would appear heat generated while charging has caused the air inside the battery pouch to expand. Take the battery out of the pouch while you charge it if you can, so that it won't overheat.**

    that battery case is sealed.

    besides that, there's no heat being generated while the battery is charging. it's not warm to the touch when i remove it from the charger.
    Last edited by mikeb; 11-16-2006 at 08:03 AM.

  6. #6
    Some Assembly Required
    Reputation: man w/ one hand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,017
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb
    **It would appear heat generated while charging has caused the air inside the battery pouch to expand. Take the battery out of the pouch while you charge it if you can, so that it won't overheat.**

    that battery case is sealed.

    besides that, there's no heat being generated while the battery is charging. it's not warm to the touch when i remove it from the charger.
    If not blown up by hot air generated by heat from the battery being charged, w/it being sealed, it has to be off gasing by the batteries=dangerous. Get a new battery, send in the old one and they may feel they need to "do you right" and give you a decent deal on a new battery.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

  7. #7
    Wolf nipple chips
    Reputation: Cabin Fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    504
    hell, 5+ years i would think is a pretty good lifespan on a rechargable battery. Like the last guy said, probably time to get a new one anyway. Although I would contact the manufacturer and see if you can get some information and possibly a hook-up...

  8. #8
    bang
    Reputation: Cyco-Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb
    besides that, there's no heat being generated while the battery is charging. it's not warm to the touch when i remove it from the charger.
    really? you constantly monitor the battery while it's charging? my battery's get warm when they recharge (could depend on type of battery or charger / charging meathod). i'd say the battery cell(s) overheated and leaked gas though.

    at any rate, it's useful life is over. i would definitely not use this battery anymore if it were mine, and i certainly wouldn't try to recharge it again. get a new battery, and properly dispose of the old one. bad battery's can rupture spewing toxic gas, explode, or burst into flames.

  9. #9
    SSientist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    96
    Tha battery is not safe to use anymore. After many cycles, the chemicals in the battery start to break down. When a current is applied to the "new" chemicals, instead of charging you get other reactions which cause the expansion. The real danger is that if the expansion causes the casing to break, exposure to oxygen could cause a fire. For this reason, I set my battery in a large pyrex baking pan on a tile floor a couple feet out from the wall when charging. If I had a garage I would put it put there. A good rule of thumb is that if the battery has lost 40% to 50% of its charging capacity it should be replaced.

    www.batteryspace.com builds batteries for many applications including bike lights. Their tech support is pretty good. You can email them with what kind of light you have and they will recommend a battery based on your desired burn time. If they don't already make it, they will custom build a battery for your light. I bought a lithium ion battery from them and it runs my 12W halogen for over 4 hours.

    -VTB

  10. #10
    mikeb
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by VTBioengineer
    Tha battery is not safe to use anymore. After many cycles, the chemicals in the battery start to break down. When a current is applied to the "new" chemicals, instead of charging you get other reactions which cause the expansion. The real danger is that if the expansion causes the casing to break, exposure to oxygen could cause a fire. For this reason, I set my battery in a large pyrex baking pan on a tile floor a couple feet out from the wall when charging. If I had a garage I would put it put there. A good rule of thumb is that if the battery has lost 40% to 50% of its charging capacity it should be replaced.

    www.batteryspace.com builds batteries for many applications including bike lights. Their tech support is pretty good. You can email them with what kind of light you have and they will recommend a battery based on your desired burn time. If they don't already make it, they will custom build a battery for your light. I bought a lithium ion battery from them and it runs my 12W halogen for over 4 hours.

    -VTB
    best reply in the thread.

    thankfully, it's my spare so i'm not compelled to use it.

    time for a new battery, i reckon.

  11. #11
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Reputation: CraigH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,646
    Good info in this thread. I've had that happen to my old NR HeadTrip battery.

    What I did was poke a pin hole through the plastic case to allow what I thought was air pressure out.

    Guess I need to get a new battery for that system.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kokothemonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    277
    I have a storm battery that does the same thing. I called niterider and they said that it was off-gassing which is normal. They said that it could be caused by a bad cell-in that case you should notice a significant decrease in run time/performance. They said that you could use a ball point pen and open the area around where the wire/connector enters the battery. PM me if you need more details. I wouldn't go out and buy a battery just because the casing is expanding without a decrease in performance, but that's my $0.02.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ICanDigIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    582
    Quote Originally Posted by kokothemonkey
    ...I called niterider and they said that it was off-gassing which is normal...
    That really dosen't look normal. The fact that it was used, 5 years ago when you got it is one thing. Play it safe and get a new battery pack. Batteries CAN burst into flames, think Dell laptops.

    And hey, I found a picture of a Niterider tech support person...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE=5]
    Shot through the heart
    And you're to blame
    You give love a bad name...
    [/SIZE]

  14. #14
    SSientist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    96
    I know that when lead acid batteries off gas it is hydrogen. I really don't know about the chemistry of the NiMH or Li-ion but I would not risk it. It is not normal. I can't believe they told you that. My battery came with a warning about swelling during charging. My old RC car batteries came with a warning. There are bad chemicals in there. Please don't risk burning your house down over $80. Plus, every time it expands your battery loses capacity from degradation. The gas doesn't just appear, it comes from the chemicals in the battery breaking down.

    Also, you shouldn't throw it in the garbage. You can find a place to recycle it here.

    http://www.rbrc.org/call2recycle/dropoff/index.php
    What do you get when you cross an elephant and a grape?

    elephantgrapesintheta

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •