mtbr member

My Niteflux rebuild

I started with a burnt out night flux head a friend gave me. Removed the old xre, I think they were. Wire wheeled the circuit board they were attached to ( this is the triangular aluminium that the leds are adhered to) and glued the new xpg leds to that.

I have left the original optics in, they are very floody. Any thoughts on better optics for more throw? I was thinking of reginas ,I would have to file them down to about 12mm high, and don't know how this would effect the output.

Then I made a driver and remote housing with a piece of 30 x 3mm ally scrap and shoehorned in a b2flex, mom switch and a stat led I found on one of the kids old toys (wired the stat wrong the first time, whoops, it still worked though when I rewired it).I am running it at 1500mA with the five mode setting.

For mounting I will just use cable ties as it will be mounted to commute bike till the end of time or I get the urge make something better. The remote will mount under the bars and be actuated by thumb, seems to work well for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Niteflux rebuild-niteflux-internals.jpg  

My Niteflux rebuild-rmeote-light.jpg  

My Niteflux rebuild-iremote-open.jpg  

My Niteflux rebuild-remote-side.jpg  

My Niteflux rebuild-remote-back.jpg  

removing nudity
    Nice work Bob, how does handle the heat?

As for optics, I would think cutting the regina down to 12mm will leave you a very floody beam.

These deal extreme reflectors might be ok but I haven't tried them. You'd also need a protective lense to keep the muck out

mtbr member
    I haven't put the thermal probe on the housing yet, only just finished it. I will endeavour to do it in the near future. The good thing is the temperature hasn't gotten into double figures where I live since I mad the light. So heat isn't going to be a problem at the moment.

Yeah I thought it might get a bit floody too. I have a couple of regina lenses in my Ayups and they are quite tight beam. I imagined cutting them down might not effect that beam too much.

Cheers on the link for those reflectors. I may give them a try for that price, especially for four and free shipping. I can live with that out lay if it does not work.

I've got the lense covers covered (pardon the pun). I can get acrylic and polycarbonate sheet off cuts from my plastic supplier. so I don't have to cut up my CD collection.

mtbr member
    very tidy job Uncle Bob, especially with the driver housing. I've tried one of those DX reflectors with an XM-L and wasn't terribly impressed - dimmer than the Regina, fairly floody, though the lack of a hotspot made it seem smoother than the Regina. I had both in an upgraded Doubleshot and I'll be offering my mate whose light it is another Regina next time I make a Digikey order. Now, how it'd compare to a cut down Regina I don't know.

What about any of the XP-G optics like CXP-RS, Laura-RS etc? I came on board after the Regina had been crowned king (queen?) of the XP-G optics, so I don't know how they compare. They are all ~12mm high though.

mtbr member
    emu26
    Nice work Bob, how does handle the heat?
    Got to 40 C pretty quickly inside my shed with a 5 C ambient temperature on L5 1500mA. I found that L4 would hold at 25 to 30 standing still, So heat at L5, while moving, should be fine there are a lot of fins on the body and L4 or 3 while stationary.

matthewmuppet
    What about any of the XP-G optics like CXP-RS, Laura-RS etc? I came on board after the Regina had been crowned king (queen?) of the XP-G optics, so I don't know how they compare. They are all ~12mm high though.
    Yeah I was now leaning towards optics, as I think the optics in the body were standard xre optics with custom mounting. So xpg optics the same size should fit !? When I do my next order for, you guessed it, my xml sled ( I've got some great profile ally for sleds), I will get some optics as well for the Niteflux.

There are just too many options out there.

In the mean time, some beam shots of the Niteflux in order: L1 to L5 at 1500mA. Bottles placed at 10, 30 and fifety metres and tree at the end of the drive at 70 metres. The driveway is 5 metres wide. All images at mtbr camera settings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Niteflux rebuild-img_0473.jpg  

My Niteflux rebuild-img_0474.jpg  

My Niteflux rebuild-img_0475.jpg  

My Niteflux rebuild-img_0476.jpg  

My Niteflux rebuild-img_0477.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
    matthewmuppet

Yeah I was now leaning towards optics, as I think the optics in the body were standard xre optics with custom mounting. So xpg optics the same size should fit !? When I do my next order for, you guessed it, my xml sled ( I've got some great profile ally for sleds), I will get some optics as well for the Niteflux.
    I have to say I'm no expert on optics for XP-Gs - I know that the LC1 and Laura RS (or LXP-RS if you need round) are the top picks for XM-L, even over the Regina, but I don't know how well they work for XP-G. You can get the LXP-RS from Digikey, along with the Regina, for a couple of bucks, so it wouldn't be expensive to try it out. You'll need to trim down the optic holder to clear the wires, but that's not hard.