mtbr member

my new quad mc-e

just a teaser for now, but I hope to test it out this week. It's fully assembled and functioning, I can honestly say it's the brightest LED light I've ever seen.

The entire housing was cut on my friends manual mill, it took a few months of cutting a little at a time.

I'm using 3 warm white, and 1 neutral white (left over), with boomerang SS reflectors. It's being driven by a hipflex and a 18v makita li-ion drill battery.

I'll upload more pics tomorrow.
    Team _________

PRETENDURO
    My theory on the MC-Es is that more usable light output can be had with larger diameter optics. I built a single MC-E (running @ 1A) using the housing and optic from one of these DealExtreme E27 getups, but beforehand had tested out the beam pattern with the two different Boomerang optics for comparison. I know, I know, everyone is trying to make their lights smaller and lighter, but I am convinced that larger might be better. Once again, as stated in another thread, I am not an engineer.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    man that thing is going to put out some light. Good work

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    My theory on the MC-Es is that more usable light output can be had with larger diameter optics. I built a single MC-E (running @ 1A) using the housing and optic from one of these DealExtreme E27 getups, but beforehand had tested out the beam pattern with the two different Boomerang optics for comparison. I know, I know, everyone is trying to make their lights smaller and lighter, but I am convinced that larger might be better. Once again, as stated in another thread, I am not an engineer.

+1

My dual MCE ended in the spare parts bin. I only kept the MCE to power a triple XPG w/ 35mm optics and now the trail lights up!

mtbr member

Team _________

mtbr member
    I still need to trim some depth from the rear housing cover. I'm pretty sure I can lose 10mm of depth there. We are also going to try to create a little more surface area in the fins. I'm very impressed with the output of this thing, it's a wide spot that gives a huge field of view but still has plenty of throw.
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I really like the Frean narrow reflectors for the MCE. My fav light (so far) is 2 narrow Freans on the head, and a MCE with an LM1 optic on the bars. This is a great combo. I did like the 3 MCE's with Boom reflectors as a bar light too. Boom's have a nice "flashlight" type of pattern. Very nice work so far; I think you need more finning for sure though. James

mtbr member
    May 2010
    That light is freaking incredible!

Great work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Beamshots!

How bout some pics of the back case?

mtbr member
    my camera doesn't have a real manual mode, so these exposure times are not all the same, but I did what I could with it. The iblaast2 has a blueish hot spot that stands out against the quad. The quad has a wonderful deep yellowish tint, that really makes everything stand out.

control

quad L2

quad L5 (700ma per die)

iblaast 2 (3 xre r2 1000ma)

quad

iblaast2
    Team _________

mtbr member
    more detail shots

Team _________

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    very nice !

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Man! This thing is huge!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Nice work, what is the heat transfer currently like? - just thinking if there would be a nice way to force air through the fins, I'm not sure how much airflow you'd currently get?

mtbr member
    RT...when posting photos of builds it's really a good idea to include an object ( like a battery ) for us folks as a point of reference so we can judge the size better. By the way, nice build.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Cat-man-do, you could use the other bike light (I-Blaast 2) as a reference, it is MR-16 sized, ie; 50mm or 2 inches in diameter.
    Cheers, Digger.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hi,

couple questions:
    what kind of driver do you use?
    how are mce's connected inner and to other mce's ?
    what battery do you use?