Thread: My mini culite

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

My mini culite

My first little light. It still needs a optic but here in Cape Town in SA its bit harder to get than expected.

I got a XPE Q5 and the CuLite jumped to mind but I thought lets make it smaller. So i used a 15mm pipe in place of 22mm. This meant that I have to find or make a compact driver. So I made it. Here is the specs on it

XPE Q5 on 12.5mm board
    10mm long alu lug to fit pipe
    15mm pipe coupler
    15mm pipe
    15mm end cap

driver:
    zxld1360 led buck driver
    resistor R160 1206 give a 625mA output(measured 610mA)
    diode
    cap 4.7uF 1206
    100uH inductor

Building the driver without a pcb was tuff, but I wanted it small. It made it also structual weak. After I tested that all was working I used some thermal epoxy blob to make it solid.

I have had it run a few minutes and just gets warm not even hot. Had a short run other night on bike and while riding it stay cool to the touch.

Here is some pics:
    First up is complete driver in testing stage:

then I mod it to be close to inductor and make it more compact:

Here is the led glued to the alu piece and the driver epoxy covered:

Just before I closed it:

The wire out the end cap:

The is it 90% closed up along side a AA battery:

99% finish. Just needs optic inside
    Last edited by whattingh; 07-12-2010 at 02:48 PM.

help with the zip please
    Nice work

mtbr member
    Brilliant. It's great to see the CuLite concept being pushed even further and people coming up with their own innovative solution to things. I can't wait to see the completed light and I hope it meets your needs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Good job. I like it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whattingh
    My first little light. It still needs a optic but here in Cape Town in SA its bit harder to get than expected.
    Nice. Harder to blaze the trail. What optics are you trying to get? Importation issues?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I looking to get a ledil Lisa2 RS from farnell thought a place here in sa but they dont have stock. Importing is not really a problem but shipping cost for a lens is. ex cutter $2 for lens and $10 shipping. I feel it is not worth it.

mtbr member
    I don't know if this helps or not but Digi-Key sell Ledil optics. They list the Lisa but not the Lisa 2. They have an international website with an SA option but ship from the USA I believe.

I am in the UK and have ordered from them in the past but I had to put in an order over 50 to get free shipping. Almost unbelievably my order arrived a day later!! (shipped from the USA).

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I just look at digikey. It is a the lisa they have not the lisa2. My mission is to so how cheap I can do this light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whattingh
    I just look at digikey. It is a the lisa they have not the lisa2. My mission is to so how cheap I can do this light.
    Getting all the parts together from suppliers all around the world is one of the biggest challenges we face unfortunately.

There is a guy called Brum I think who supplies optics and other parts on CPF I believe. I have never ordered from him but maybe someone here can point you in his direction.