mtbr member
    Jun 2007

my homemade bikelights

Ive just finished a set of homemade bikelights - supposedly over 1200 lumens!
    Went for first night ride t'other night around the hills of Bath and was very impressed! 6 x Seoul P4 (3 in each head) 2x buckpuck 1000ma cc driving each head from a pair of 14.8v li ions (4Ah) heatsinks from sandwich shoppe. Mounts homemade adaption of a handlebar raiser made by Trans-X mated with spare set of wheel quick releases. Thanks also to my mate Oli and his skills on the lathe and also to candlepowerforums for much inspiration

quick plug for my shop - www.bestofbritishdeli.co.uk

mtbr member
    looks good... sacrificed some maglight ?

Spanish biker
    Very nice!!!!!!!!

Now, beamshots!!!!!!!

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    I like the canibalised quick release. What sort of cables/connectors are you using?

Details on the lens and how you mounted them would also be great, and as msxtr said, beam shots please.

Thanks

Tim

My Rusty Knee
    Hey Swallow

You made it over here...cool.

The beams shots on CPF were impressive. nice and floody.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

No Shades of Gray
    Hi Heatstroke (and sorry to the thread initator for the thread hijack)
    I was reading roadbike review and believe you were part of a conversation regarding the Titus Modena.
    Was that you? Did you buy one from seller mattgear (Belles Outdoor Gear and Equipment)? They will not respond to emails but curious if the frame came with fork and headset for their buy it now price? Are they legit and did you have a good experience? Considering I can't get them to answer emails I am slightly concerned.
    Any feedback you can give?
    Can't remember if my email on MTBR is still any good so please respond on this thread if you have a sec..

(Again sorry to original poster).
    Thx.
    Linerider
    "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live" -- Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart B
    Hey Swallow

You made it over here...cool.

The beams shots on CPF were impressive. nice and floody.

Stu
    Stu (or Swallow) can you post the CPF URL for the beam shots: I looked, but couldn't find it.

Thanks

Tim

KOKOPELLI RACING
    McGyver-style. NICE.
    kokopelli racing

My Rusty Knee
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat
    Stu (or Swallow) can you post the CPF URL for the beam shots: I looked, but couldn't find it.

Thanks

Tim
    Here ya go Tim

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=166203

Stu

My Rusty Knee
    Quote Originally Posted by linerider
    Hi Heatstroke (and sorry to the thread initator for the thread hijack)
    I was reading roadbike review and believe you were part of a conversation regarding the Titus Modena.
    Was that you? Did you buy one from seller mattgear (Belles Outdoor Gear and Equipment)? They will not respond to emails but curious if the frame came with fork and headset for their buy it now price? Are they legit and did you have a good experience? Considering I can't get them to answer emails I am slightly concerned.
    Any feedback you can give?
    Can't remember if my email on MTBR is still any good so please respond on this thread if you have a sec..

(Again sorry to original poster).
    Thx.
    Linerider
    there is a private message facility hehe

Stu

mtbr member
    Do you have any sort of dimming controls on those or is it all daylight all the time? I think if you could get one up on your helmet and one on the bars you would be amazed at the difference. Spot on the lid and flood on the bars. I have a 2x on my helmet and a 4x on the bars and on the trail it isn't even fair. I think I caused a poor rabbit a stroke last night with the amount of light those 6 p4's put out

Great work by the way very clean, and any info on the quick release would be cool! Those things rock

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

beamshots and more stuff

beamshots here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=166203

Reflectors are 20mm from photonfanatic in the States - you can find him on cpf under name gene. I had to shave just under 1mm from the bases.
    I cut down the stock reflector to form a ring around the three small reflectors - will one day put some low power leds in there on a switch for when I am stopped.
    Original mag lense/cover
    Mounts are a cut down Trans-X handlebar raiser (you get two which is handy) 4.99 on ebay.co.uk I used cut down and rethreaded wheel QRs and used the nut end of the qr's on the inside of the torch bodies (cut then sanded round, to mate with the inside of the tube) If you look at the mounts, they have the facility to be super rogid (can pick up bike by them) yet if I crack into a hard branch or have a stack, they will pop off the qr and rotate freely without coming off - this was more by accident than by design, but works well!
    Cables go with batteries from www.batteryspace.com - pretty good although one battery was wrongly wired when I got it (not clever for Liion)
    Buckpuck driver came from ledsupply in USA - you can get them in the UK but as usual at a rip off price. Thats all there is to these really - good luck to anyone having a go.
    This would all fit into a mag c-cell and be a bit smaller (run hotter) this is what I plan to do for a helmet mounted light.
    Alternatively I am very tempted to make a series of small one led (Seoul) interlinked lights out of the torches and other parts that can be found on dealextreme.com - looks like a good supplier of bargain bits!!

mtbr member
    Stu and Swallow. Thanks for the details.

Tim

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    wow! very cool!

please tell us more details! how much did you paid for the lot?

great stuff!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcolino
    wow! very cool!

please tell us more details! how much did you paid for the lot?

great stuff!!!
    each unit inc battery ended up coming in at arund 70 I did have some cock-ups along the way (call it R&D) so they cost me a bit more really! All a learning curve!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    nice! I almost went with the cut down mags, but opted for the squaretube/jb weld method, to go a bit lower profile!

Nice job!

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    I'm curious, is that 1200 lumens combining the two of them or do they each put out 1200 lumens.

Otherwise good job on the build

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd@gretnabikes
    I'm curious, is that 1200 lumens combining the two of them or do they each put out 1200 lumens.

Otherwise good job on the build
    1200 total - about 600 out of each - although if I were a manufacturer I would be refering to the specifics/technical secifiactions of the circuits and calling them 720 lumens each!! 600 is more realistic.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Isn't that fairly heavy? Considering the batteries that mag lights generally use?
    2007 Specialized
    FSR XC COMP

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Pretty lights. Nice job!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    Isn't that fairly heavy? Considering the batteries that mag lights generally use?
    Typical Mag Light uses 2-6 C or D sized Alkaline batteries. This setup uses "... a pair of 14.8v li ions (4Ah) ..." which are much lighter. The Mag heads themselves are a little heavy but not bad.

BTW, I was considering a similar build but could not find anything that would flood the trail. All the reflectors produced a very distinct spot. I just finished a pair of dual CREE's (one for the helmet, one for the bars) and I am very happy with the LEDIL 15 degree optics for flood work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    Typical Mag Light uses 2-6 C or D sized Alkaline batteries. This setup uses "... a pair of 14.8v li ions (4Ah) ..." which are much lighter. The Mag heads themselves are a little heavy but not bad.

BTW, I was considering a similar build but could not find anything that would flood the trail. All the reflectors produced a very distinct spot. I just finished a pair of dual CREE's (one for the helmet, one for the bars) and I am very happy with the LEDIL 15 degree optics for flood work.
    I run one of these pointing a little down and the other pointing pretty much horizontal, Im no expert at all on lenses/flooding etc, but there is plenty of light on the ground just in front of my wheel. What I would really like to do is get a red filter for these and have them both on the rear of my commuting bike, then revert to my blinking mini front light on the bars - see how many cars buzz me then hahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa!
    what I do the rest of the time - www.bestofbritishdeli.co.uk

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    On the body, or old battery tube area, did you re-thread that to go into the head? I was thinking about doing a similar thing but wasn't sure on how to cap the end of the head off. Yours turned out looking like a factory job,, very nice..
    Steve

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Very nice!

A couple of Q's (my 1st post ...so go easy folks) ....

Will the original Mag cover lens you are using be OK handling the heat?

What do you reckon the chances are of fitting the same (or similar) set up in a "C" head? The internal flange to top lip depth is 25mm on a "C".

Thanks, Bob.