mtbr member
    Sep 2007

My first LED build MR16

So am I working on a LED project starting with an MR16. I will use this thread to keep track of my plan and ask questions and maybe get some answers.

High Level details
    Parts:
    LED Driver; National Semiconductor LM3424
    LED; (7x) CREE XLamp XP-G
    Optics; KHATOD PL121406_CRE
    Case/Heatsink I will work on after I get the Circuits and PCB designed (1st pass).

I have the circuit designed but need to go through it again. Trying to figure out which Schematic/PCB program to use. Thinking about Eagle, need to make my own IC template though don't see one for what I need (TSSOP-20).

What is a good place to send out PCB's to for these LED projects?

The optics don't list XP-G but the package dimensions given in the datasheet are the same as the XP-E/XP-C so I don't see why it wouldn't work. Fair assumption?

Also thinking I should figure out a way to pulse/strobe the light if it goes into current limiting mode (due to temperature) as a safety feature so there is some warning before it shuts off.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rxbandit
    The optics don't list XP-G but the package dimensions given in the datasheet are the same as the XP-E/XP-C so I don't see why it wouldn't work. Fair assumption?
    The Khatod optic will work with the XP-G. Beamshots I have seen show a ton of light although in a flood pattern.

Also thinking I should figure out a way to pulse/strobe the light if it goes into current limiting mode (due to temperature) as a safety feature so there is some warning before it shuts off.
    IMO a better solution would be to dim the light if high temp limit is exceeded. Riding a trail with the light flashing seems tough (though I have never tried it).

Case/Heatsink I will work on after I get the Circuits and PCB designed (1st pass).
    Pay close attention to heat management with the seven-up. One poster on this forum actually had the optic on the center emitter melt, despite having a housing that looked like it should work OK.

What are you planning to use for the battery?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    IMO a better solution would be to dim the light if high temp limit is exceeded. Riding a trail with the light flashing seems tough (though I have never tried it).
    Well at 100C it will go into a dimming mode and decrease the current as the temp increase up to 120C where it will shut off. I am thinking that shutting off could be bad . So a lot of noticeable warning would be good.

Still have to think about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    What are you planning to use for the battery?
    12V 2.h A-hr battery, so it will be operating as a boost converter. This particular build is for my dirtbike. Helmet mounted light will be my next build.