mtbr member
    Apr 2007

My dynamo diy setups.

Details: Cree XP-G first gen R2 bin triple with a Cree XRE (forgot what bin it was). Martin dynamo circuit inside the steerer tube. Shimano 3D70 dynamo.

The entire setup.

The head.

The switch.

Been using this setup for several years now, rain or shine (you probably noticed it by the rusted out screw on the switch). Works great. Haven't seen the need to upgrade the leds yet, but will probably do that when the new ones come out in the next few years.

The title says "setups", I have another 6 led setup to post soon. Everything is finished, just need to photograph it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Here's my other setup I just recently finished.

Triple cree xp-e r2 with medium spot 16°, and triple cree xp-g r5 with medium 22°. Both gen 2. Both using carclo triple cree "spot" optics (which isn't really spot at all).

Unfortunately my carbon fork didn't have a hole in the steerer tube to stick the circuitry (martin's #10) in, so it's ziptied beside the front brake cable (the zipties are taped over because the zipties were clear in colour).

Forgive the blue heatsinks, I didn't have any black ones lying around.

2 mode front switch.

The SP Dynamo PD-8.

For future upgrades, I have the mounts ready.

mtbr member
    More setups please.

NONDURO
    That heatsink in the photos of your first post within this thread look suspiciously like an old Apple Powermac G3 heatsink cut down in size. Is this the case? I’ve used a couple of them before on some of my older light setups.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I want to say nice lights, but the adjective doesn't seem quite right Functional, effective, cost effective all come to mind though

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    That heatsink in the photos of your first post within this thread look suspiciously like an old Apple Powermac G3 heatsink cut down in size. Is this the case? I’ve used a couple of them before on some of my older light setups.
    I have no idea. I have a box full of old cpu or gpu heatsinks, I just choose which ever is the most easiest to shape into a light and go from there. The post Pentium II heatsinks are definitely a no-go unless you cut down the tall fins. Motherboard heatsinks and older gpu heatsinks are usually perfect, they have short fins.

NONDURO
    They look like this:
    Name:  scaleDCP_8485.JPG
Views: 782
Size:  21.0 KB
    Back in the late 1990s - mid-2003 I was messing around with overclocking Motorola G3 and G4 CPUs– to their extreme limits thermally (as well as voltage) using Peltier cooling units (20W was the upper limit of my experiments, which worked great). Just kind of being a geek of sorts, was into boosting Mac OS (pre OSX days) classic first-person gaming performance (overclocking Voodoo chipsets as well)… however, I wonder if a low-wattage Peltier could be used to supercharge the light output of a high-efficiency LED module (with proper heatsinking). They make Peltiers than run as low as 10W. Anyone tried Peltiers with LEDs before? Is this even worth discussing?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yeah, that's the one. Cut them in half, remove the bottom 3 fins, drill a hole for the mount, and they work perfectly.

When I was testing the leds at 1.5A, I tried ice cooling the leds on a much larger heatsink, it was hot, but I'll stick with passive cooling on a bicycle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    3 month review.

I've ridden with my 2 triple cree xp-series setup for a while now, and I have to say, there is such thing as TOO BRIGHT. I found myself using the low mode 75% of the time, and there were times I was wishing I had even lower modes.

The high mode puts out ridiculous amount of lights, unnecessary unless I'm going 50km/h+ downhill or on flats.

For the future, I find the 4 led setups like my first post under the new cree xp gen2 leds more than sufficient.

mtbr member
    Hi guys!

I've allready posted in the other light forum, and someone recommended me to post in the DIY section.

My dynamo halogen light just broke into pieces (literally), and now I want to buy a headlight and mod it to work off a hub dynamo.

https://dx.com/p/xc-997b-cree-3w-200...-4-x-aa-108640

Anyone tried to do this yet?

mtbr member
    No idea?

Any oppinion about this light? Can it be moded?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrystyan27 View Post
    No idea?

Of course it can be made to work. Open it and toss the driver. Make any one of the dynamo driver circuits that have been linked in the various dyno posts. Make the connections to the LED and you're set. If you do one of the really simple circuits, you may even be able to fit in the housing. If you build one of the more complex circuits for better performance, you won't have room in the housing and it will need to go elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    No idea?

I wouldn't even bother. It's a waste of time and the plastic design suck. Buy something quality like the B&M Lumotec IQ2 Eyc I bought. It's much smaller and better design. It doesn't come close to my number #1 or #2 dynamo setup's beam output but it has a very good beam.

And most plastic things from dx.com suck, including this light you're about to buy. Dynamo lights shouldn't be mounted on the handlebar.

mtbr member
    I was going to change the mount too, so I can mount it on the fork.

I don't want to exceed the budget of 40-50$, for a bike light.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I don't want to exceed the budget of 40-50$, for a bike light.

You still have to get a dynamo, which is way more than $50, not to mention the time you wasted thinking about cooking up a inferior product.

Buy a yinding clone and call it a day.

mtbr member
    I allready have a hub dynamo on my commuter, which is pre-wired (halogen light broke up 1 week ago). I want a bike light for my dynamo, cuz I don't want plan to get rid of the bike too soon.

And a YinDing Clone will be shipped next month, but that's part two of the setup.

LE: Could you please post some nightshots with the 2x Triple XP-G setup?

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    My dynamo halogen light just broke into pieces (literally), and now I want to buy a headlight and mod it to work off a hub dynamo.

https://dx.com/p/xc-997b-cree-3w-200...-4-x-aa-108640

Anyone tried to do this yet?
    I'm pretty sure there is a dynamo version of that light. I bought one under the Avenir brand from Amazon, but they don't have it now

mtbr member
    Got a link to that product?

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    THIS is what I bought
    Not sure why Amazon doesn't carry it anymore, but maybe it had poor sales