Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

My double-barrel Regina build...

Still a little rough...barring a couple of exit holes and an order for the gutz...I'be ready to stuff my emitters and Regina's in there.

mtbr member
    This build is like SO what I've been thinking for over the last two weeks! Where are you going to put the Driver? I was considering buying a Cat-eye double shot to try to do a mod with the XPG/Regina. However I can't be sure the dimensions on the Cat-eye DS are deep enough. Not really willing to spend a $140 to find out. Once you get this up and running, and if I'm impressed enough with the beam shots ( yeah, I know I've said this before...) I might really like to buy one of these off of you. What Driver are you going to use with this and how many modes will it have?

mtbr member
    chelboed, they are looking good and it looks like you got that parting tool doing its thing. Nice mount too.

Makes me want to start mine over from scratch.

What driver will you use? also will you have a power socket and switch? I ask as I still can't work out how to fit the bits in mine.

Maybe there should be a thread for all the regina builds..... what do you think?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm going to do an "in-line" buck puck, me thinx. I'll prob. plasti-dip the thing and see how that works. I was thinking about doing a bFlex but at over twice the price...I don't think I'll go that route. If I do an external bFlex...the footprint would still be similar to a dipped / shrink wrapped puck...so I may as well keep it simple and cheap.

I'm gonna do a couple of XP-G stars in series with a 3x 18650 pack.

I'll probably exit the wires out the bottom at about 5 O'clock and 7 O'clock slightly off center toward the inside so the wires can run straight back by the mount. I'll do some sort of Dean or Anderson type plug between the lamp and the battery pack.

Still a few details to think about.

mtbr member
    Man Chelb you are keen Reminds me of me in the early days

looking good those you could do with a bit of lateral movement to widen the beam a little too ( Never thought I would be saying that about a XPG light )

Cat Most definatly enough room in a catey triple shot for the mod .
    just not a lot of room for a driver if you did 3 reginas in there .

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have one more barrel built up that I could put between the two, but I'm not sure if I want to go the triple route. That would definitely widen the beam. Could ditch this mount and do a channel type thing.

mtbr member
    looking very very good

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Beautiful. You have been a busy boy

Lets RIDE!
    I like it! Are the 2 barrels individually aimable? Could make a very nice beam.
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Two barrels.
    Incorporated switches and drivers.
    Attention to detail.

Check out work done by Cytoe..
    Worth looking at his old threads for inspiration.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yah...individually aimable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    LOL...cytoe got me beat by a country mile.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    LOL...cytoe got me beat by a country mile.
    Oh, I don't know about that. Double MC-E has more light but will need a boat-load of batteries to keep it going ( if run on high..2.8A ). Your build should provide enough light ( 600 to 700lm ) and still be lite enough to keep the whole sha'bang on the helmet. If I had a double XPG I would try to run a 2-cell 7.2 volt battery on the helmet. Don't know though if that's enough to keep it in regulation for very long. The way I figure it, if I can run on high for an 1.25hr before having to switch batteries that should be good enough for my shorter rides.

Last week I did my first trail ride with my XPG torch. The XR-E reflector I using on it made a lot of difference as far as beam pattern is concerned but unfortunately the output is still lacking. The puzzling bit was that the beam looks so good when shining it around on the pre-rides but when used on the trail the output seems to drop significantly. This must be because the torch drop-in for the XP-G heats up REAL fast. I did notice that the torch got very warm. Simply not enough heat sinking to maintain the higher output like when used for just on/off torch duties.
    Not helping matters much right now is the fact that temps are hovering around 90F where I am.. The night I ran the test it was 85'F at night! Now that's one heck of a warm night for East coast USA!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I dished out the back end of the barrels to drop some weight a couple days ago. I ordered 2 stars and a buckpuck from ledsupply, so it'll have to be a 3-cell pack to keep it in regulation. Therefore, runtime will rock. I could actually build it w/ 3 rcr's for a tiny pack. I wonder how long an 11.1v/800mAh pack would go with the buckpuck @1A on 2 R5's.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    I was considering buying a Cat-eye double shot to try to do a mod with the XPG/Regina. However I can't be sure the dimensions on the Cat-eye DS are deep enough. Not really willing to spend a $140 to find out.

I have a Double Shot. Let me know which dimensions you're looking for and I'll mic it for you.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I got a little impatient, so I used my Ryobi 18v battery pack b/c I haven't gotten my LiPo pack yet.

Yay! Beamshots!

GITD!!

Back Yard shots...shed is exactly 75 feet away.
    F4
    ISO 100
    6"
    Daylight

Light right next to camera:

Light 2' away from camera:

Here's the Triple XP-G for comparison...

Light right next to camera:

Light 2' away from camera:

mtbr member
    Chelboed, I know it's a lot to ask but is there anyway you can do some beam shots that can display the throw of the Reginas a little more? 75ft really isn't far enough to get an idea of what this can do. I am surprised at how wide the beam is though. No one can say that a two-up isn't wide enough for trail use.

On a side note I did another ride with my XPG torch. This time on a cooler night. I also used a little less rubber around the torch body to increase heat transfer. Definitely was working much better. The only problem with using a single XPG as helmet light is that if you happen to be using a triple on the bars, the triple on high tends to wash out the helmet light. As long as I run the triple on medium the single on the helmet is fine. Still, I really want a double on the helmet. For me, almost a must-have since I really am a Long-throw-helmet-light-Junkie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah, man...I'll see if I can find a good place to test. The only reason I orig started the back yard shots is b/c of the quick convenience as well as the fact that my MagicShine test was done there. I like to compare my lights to the MS for non-DIY peeps so they know that it's not God's gift. I should have gotten decent MS shots somewhere else prior to selling it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My own personal opinion about useable distance is that twisty singletrack A' la Kansas...a 75 foot beamshot is more than ample b/c we don't have too many place where you go much more than 75 feet w/o having a turn or tree. Not much need for throw beyond that. When riding singletrack at night...I personally don't even pay attention to anything beyond that. Though if I were a roadie...I'd feel differently.

mtbr member
    Its only a few threads down a double Regina XPG shot

but here it is again furthest trees 450 ish feet away

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    My own personal opinion about useable distance is that twisty singletrack A' la Kansas...a 75 foot beamshot is more than ample b/c we don't have too many place where you go much more than 75 feet w/o having a turn or tree. Not much need for throw beyond that. When riding singletrack at night...I personally don't even pay attention to anything beyond that. Though if I were a roadie...I'd feel differently.
    I hear ya. That sounds pretty much like most of the places I ride as well. However sometimes there is the occasional straight-away fast moving section of trail. When on those I really do like being able to glance ahead to see what's coming up. The faster you go, the more important it is to have a brighter/farther throwing lamp on the lid. For my needs that means something in the 600 to 700lm range with a proper *narrow beam pattern ( *but not too narrow.... ) A double XPG with Regina's should be able to fit that bill and still be efficient enough for me to keep the battery footprint small ( so I can mount the battery to the helmet ). At some point though I'm going to have to decide IF this really is what I want. Decisions, decisions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm considering doing a dual Hex like this one with longitudinal fins like my other hex's. Then I'll throw the triple on the bars and have a double hex on the lid.

I think you'd find the Regina to be just the ticket, dude. They're cheap fo sho...just snag a couple and give 'er hell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

(got my battery...still need to dip it)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    hi, NICE build!!
    Loved trhe design and the outputs :-)
    what's the driver u'r using at the moment?
    (i'm buliding a triple XPG and looking for a driver that doesnt cost 30$ or so.)

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ledsupply.com

1000mA Buckpuck.

$15

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast