mtbr member
    Aug 2008

MTE SSC P7 Issues

I purchased several of these 5 mode lights from DealExtreme last year as a cheap alternative for bike lights. Now I am noticing that the end cap switch is so sensitive that slight bumps in the road cause them to change between modes. This is very annoying.

Anyone else having the same issues with these lights? And is there a way to correct or bypass the mode switch?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist
    I purchased several of these 5 mode lights from DealExtreme last year as a cheap alternative for bike lights. Now I am noticing that the end cap switch is so sensitive that slight bumps in the road cause them to change between modes. This is very annoying.

Anyone else having the same issues with these lights? And is there a way to correct or bypass the mode switch?
    Depending on what model you have, you might try to tighten the metal O-rings just inside the end cap. If that doesn't work try seeing if the *pill (* the part that houses the led/driver )
    is loose. Tighten it if you can. ( Be careful, don't strip any threads ) Lastly you might try to stretch the spring(s) inside that hold the battery in place. If all this fails you could also have a loose solder connection ( driver/led/or switch ) or a bad switch in the cap. These are more difficult to fix.

mtbr member
    Which light did you purchase?

Also if you have difficulty disassembling/loosening/tightening the switch or driver, look for some small square notches at the perimeter of the inside of the tail and head of the light. There should be 2 of these opposite each other. If you have a really pointy pliers you can use them to unscrew the parts by adjusting them so they seat in the notches and then turn the pliers to loosen/tighten the inner retaining rings. Sometimes these are difficult to see, but they should be there - I have also seen them use 2 holes instead of the notches and they can be used the same way to unscrew or tighten things up. The switch board is usually soldered to the ring in the tailswitch. Beware however that taking them apart can be the easy part. As for the connection problem, I recall that one light I had used a metal clip from the board with the tail switch to make the electrical connection with the body. This could be the problem if it was loose or there was some crud on it.

One simple thing to do prior to disassembling anything is to clean the threads on the tailcap or the mating surface since one of these will need to make the electrical connection with the body.

Often the threads are painted or anodized (non-conductive) which means that the connection from the tail switch to the body is made on a flat ring cut into the pieces that will be seated when the tail cap is tightened down fully (like on a maglight). That is why tightening it may help the connection - but you may want to clean this area first so the connection will be as good as possible.