mtbr member
    Aug 2004

MTE P7 VS JetBeam III Pro IBS

Well I got my new JetBeam III today but not the DX order with all the batteries so I had to swap bats for my beamshots.

Lil run down, I've owned the MTE P7 since June and loved it but lack the throw for a helmet use on the trails. So I had to toss up to get a cheap Q5 light from DX, under further HW, I found the Jet III to be one of few that have a regulated driver, meaning it stays at the same brightness for the entire run time rather then trickle down as the battery dies. The Jet III sold me with the IBS (Infinite Brightness Setting) allows for 3 customized modes of my choice from 2- 225lumens. Default seting are 180, 60, warning signal.

I have my JetIII set for about 60-70% so about 135-140lumen, then full 225 max setting, then a max brightness strobe speed that is good for my eyes without going into a trance. In the strobe setting you can set both brightness and speed of the pulse.

http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/jetproiiiibs.html
    [SIZE="1"]Output & Runtime:
    18650 Rechargeable Lithium Battery:
    Max Output: 225 Lumen, for 1.5 Hours
    Default Mode A Output: 180 Lumen, for 135min
    Default Mode B Output: 20 Lumen, for 24 hours
    Min Output: 2 Lumen, for 150 hours [/SIZE]

When I opened the box, the light was smaller then I expected, good thing

No twin beamshots yet, but you can see where the Jet III shines over the P7 in throw with enough spill for close distance objects. I also noticed under the street lights, it washes out almost all of the P7's beam but the Jet II hot spot is still good to shot details of the road. So P7 good for almost pitch black riding and JB is good for both urban and rural riding

My medium mode, around 60% so around 135-140lumens

Max 225 lumens, I set my strobe at the same brightness and a speed good for my eyes without going into a trance.

The P7 on high on the same mounting angle.

Image taken from CPF, the Jet II runs off a single RCR123 bat, the Jet III runs off a single 18650 bat.

enjoy

mtbr member
    ...nice review of the JetBeam lll Pro ! Looks like a nice torch. Very useable for helmet mounting.

jsigone wrote:..The Jet III sold me with the IBS (Infinite Brightness Setting) allows for 3 customized modes of my choice from 2- 225lumens. Default seting are 180, 60, warning signal.
    I like this IBS feature. I wish someone would offer that with the P-7 and MC-E torches.
    It would be nice to be able to custom set the level of brightness you want for high, medium and low. I might have to keep my eye on this JetBeam brand for the future. Oh yeah, Thanks for the write-up and review...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The IBS feature is a patented technology so there won't be much out there doing the same thing. It's very easy to set. I was playing with the light around my house last night, this thing got some serious distance. I lite up trees more then 50yards way. Shined it on a house about 75 yards out, it lite up the entire 2 car garage door. I can't wait to take these puppy on the dark trails next week.

My derailler hanger shipped yesturday so I should have it on Monday. I had a nasty crash on Tuesday.....