Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

MS heads/Battery pack Q's: retrofit options?

Probably been covered ad nauseum, but here we go.

I took apart my MS battery canisters, unsoldered all of the leads, and brought ONLY the batteries to a local recycling center.
    So, I have the canister and the 'smart charge' printed circuit board. Has anyone tried taking
    4 trustfire TR 18650's from D.E., and re-soldering them to the other MS battery bits?

How about four CR 123a's for a superlight, compact (short run time) franken-battery?

Which leads to the next Q, does anyone know the real voltage range of the light head/pucks in the stock MS 900?

Curious if I could drive some different voltage battery configurations without 'sploderating the Cree...
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Probably been covered ad nauseum, but here we go.

I took apart my MS battery canisters, unsoldered all of the leads, and brought ONLY the batteries to a local recycling center.
    So, I have the canister and the 'smart charge' printed circuit board. Has anyone tried taking
    4 trustfire TR 18650's from D.E., and re-soldering them to the other MS battery bits?

How about four CR 123a's for a superlight, compact (short run time) franken-battery?

Which leads to the next Q, does anyone know the real voltage range of the light head/pucks in the stock MS 900?

Curious if I could drive some different voltage battery configurations without 'sploderating the Cree...
    If you want superlight and compact, why not use a 2-cell 7.4v pack. You can make them up by soldering up the Trustfire cells, or get a pre-made pack from the link here pretty cheaply: Batteries, again

I could be wrong, but I think using the protected Trustfire cells you can bypass the electronics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    so am I correct? ...you got rid of the batteries because of the infamous "battery scare" recall, but you still want to use all the same crappy electronics?

If you want a 'superlight' pack, have a lipo pack built.

What do you mean 'real voltage range'?

If you want to change the voltage and the led, you're going to need a different driver. This means you are ultimately left with a MS head and lots of random parts. At that point, you might as well go full custom.
    I WANT TO BUY YOUR MAGICSHINE LIGHTS! Working or not.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The MS light is designed to run at 7.4V. If you go higher than 8.4V, you'll toast one or more of the marginally spec'd components on the driver. Go lower and the driver will be shutting down the light at ~6V. Changing the voltage will not change the light output. BTW the LED is an SSC, not a Cree. Rebuild the battery with the DE cells. They will be pretty much the same as the ones you removed. Better yet you should have kept the pack intact and recycled some cells from an old laptop. Then you would have your new recall pack and the original.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Ummm, there is some confusion here, apparently.
    I returned the batteries not because of any scare, but because two out of the three I had wouldn't hold a charge for more than about 10-15 minutes. So the recall is good for me in other ways. I kept the cylinders/cables and the pcb that was on top of the batteries in case I could use them, apparently there was nothing wrong with the electronics, just the cells. But you might know differently. better to have it and not need it...
    As to the voltage issue, that was the info I was looking for, thank you.

How can I tell if my new DE cells are 'protected', or 'dumb'?

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    I returned the batteries not because of any scare, but because two out of the three I had wouldn't hold a charge for more than about 10-15 minutes. So the recall is good for me in other ways. I kept the cylinders/cables and the pcb that was on top of the batteries in case I could use them, apparently there was nothing wrong with the electronics, just the cells. But you might know differently. better to have it and not need it...
    As to the voltage issue, that was the info I was looking for, thank you.

How can I tell if my new DE cells are 'protected', or 'dumb'?
    The red and black Trustfire ones from DE are protected, and have tested pretty well in comparisons. They are 3.7v each, so the Magicshine pack has 2 parallel sets of 2 in series, also called 2S2P. You can use any 2S *P battery configuration for 7.4v.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Not so much confusion as a lack of information. The OP has no reference to a failing pack, just that cells were recycled.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Not so much confusion as a lack of information. The OP has no reference to a failing pack, just that cells were recycled.
    Fair enough!

If anyone has extra canisters with cables, I could use a few...

And then we eat them."