mtbr member
    Jan 2004

MPD 18650 holders

Has anybody used the Memory Protection Devices 18650 holders with protected cells? Or could someone measure the distance between contacts? These are the holders Digikey sells.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Data sheet is saying 55.61 (2.19). Kinda short even for unprotected 18650 flat tops.

I use this one from fasttech which is great and will only fit unprotected flat tops.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My protected Panasonic 3400mA fit very tightly. Too tight really as the holder is slightly deformed after use and will not hold an unprotected cell afterward. I'm OK with it though because I only use those cells in that particular light. IIRC those cells are ~69-70mm long.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think that dimension is for the mounting holes, they don't indicate the length between contacts.

I have the fasttech's and they measure ~63.5 mm between contacts (new, never compressed contacts). There is no way a protected cell will fit without modification. I bought them to use for charging so I'll just cut them in half and mount them on something to get the right distance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I've got the MPDs, and all my protected batteries fit (panny 3100s, AW 2900s, Xtar 2600s). They are tight, though, so I put a 1" holesaw hole in the back for easier push-out from behind.
    The study du jour: can one's reputation be artificially inflated by simply putting a request for rep in one's sig?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks, it sounds like they'll work, time to place an order.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Digi-key Battery Holders

I started this thread a while ago, which now seems to be missing the pictures.
    I've used protected cells with no problems.

mtbr member
    the single cell holder that I've used a protected cell in for a couple of years started cracking from being splayed outward. Haven't used protected cells in the multicell holders though, which should hold up to the abuse better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As a follow up, the MPD 3 cell holder is visually identical to the Fasttech 3 cell holders. I got them to fit the Fasttech Panasonic 3400 protected cells by removing one contact per cell and squishing it flat with some pliers. The fit is still tight, but you can get the cells in and out without a crowbar.