mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Mounting above or below the handlebars

I just bought a 30WT HID from battery Space and tried to mount it on my handle bars. When mounted above it moves around all over the place but seems fine below. I was thinking that below has the advantages of the light is better protected in an accident and I can turn the bike over and leave the light on the bike when having to fix a Puncture.

I have always had lights mounted above and never thought of below before.

Do most people on the forum have lights mounted above or below and any particular reason for one way or the other?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Wow congrats on the light

I put mine down as low as possible to get the shadow effect on rocks and roots so I can get depth perception. If I didn't have a helmet mount also though I would probably move it higher up just to get better coverage. I have mine mounted on my fork actually.

IF it works go with it though

With that much light I don't think the 6 inches or so will matter especially if it is stable below.

mtbr member
    This is off topic, but I am interested in hearing if you have tried it on your helmet and if so how it went.

Thanks.

Tim

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I try to get it at least below the highest level of the handle bar. That way it's still possible to invert the bike to work on a flat tire or whatever without the weight going on the fragile electrical gear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the ideas. Fork mounting sounds like a pretty good idea.

I havent' tried it on the helmet but the good news is it came with quite a long cable to the battery so you could easily put the battery in a back pack.

I haven't tried it on the helmet yet but I expect to have a problem similar to mounting it on top of the handlebars which is the bolt holding the light onto the bracket.

To explain the problem it is probably best if you have a look at the batteryspace website while reading this. I bought the $309 version as the battery life of 2.6 hours is heaps enough and you can just see what I am talking about on that one but the light on its own for $215.95 shows it clearer.

The light has a mount on it that comes down to a point that is bolted onto the normal lightbracket. While it is possible with a thick piece of rubber to get the mount to tighten onto the handlebars tight enough to not move it is not possible to get that bolt tight enough to not move so the light faces the ground as soon as you hit a bump. My plans are to try drill another hole and somehow make a mount so that it is mounted with two holes and can not twist. However that would mean being careful as the cable comes out from inside that mount.

I think it could work ok on a helmet and how I would do it is to get rid of the bike mount completely, put the mount that is attached to the light into an air vent on the top of the helmet and hope it does not come down close enough to you head and also allow a fair bit in case you have an accident otherwise the bracket would be very nasty. Then use cable ties to mount it firmly to the helmet.

A friend who uses a 10WT HID on his helmet when I showed him said he thinks it would be too heavy on the helmet. I have never riden with a helmet mounted light yet apart from on 20 minute ride with my old Halogens using the mount that I got with this light. I found the 220gram of halogen light made the helmet feel just a bit front heavy so I expect the 436 grams for this would much worse however it might be ok if mounted right on top to notupset the helmet balance.

trail rat
    I do both, depending on which bike / light combo I'm using. Some bars and cable get in the way, but the other position usually works.

I've found the lower the better gives more terrain relief of small rocks. I'm trying to find a way to mount a light on the fork near the wheel and still protect it if the bike is laid down, either intentionally or when a rock troll grabs my wheel.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mine goes below because I normally have a map board above my bars!