mtbr member
    Mar 2004

More power...suggestions for a new build

I have made two sets of lights.

First was an XPG triple driven at 1a and running the Carclo tight, battery is 14.8v. I built two of them and usually rode with both of them. Not sure what bin the XPG's were but it's a cool white.

Second set I had out for their first ride last night. 2 XML in warm white driven via a 2.8 AMC7135 driver wired poormans and using a 7.4v battery.

I really regret buying the warm white. My initial thought was that we have lots of foggy wet nights here on the North Shore and the warm would do better in the fog.

I have two of the 2.8a AMC7135 drivers in the parts bin and desire to build something really bright.

Suggestions?

mtbr member
    35mm triple XM-L2 NW (most of the benefits of WW, but without the yucky yellow tint) on copper using one of your 14.8V batteries and a buck driver of your choice.

To use the 2.8A 7135 boards, you could either do a twin XM-L2 with a master-slave set up (each LED driven by a separate board, but one board controls the other) or you could really go gonzo and do a double MT-G2 on noctigon (from Intloutdoor.com) using a diode/resistor hack from Comfychair on BLF. Two MT-G2 at 2.8A each would put out a hell of a lot of light

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    How fancy of a housing would be needed to deal with the heat of 3 XML at max 3a?

Maybe I'll just go with some XM-L g2 in cool white and master slave two drivers.

How much power am I loosing using the poormans wiring with my two current XM-L's? Are both LED's getting the full 2.8a?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    How fancy of a housing would be needed to deal with the heat of 3 XML at max 3a?
    Don't know about fancy, but you'll need ~30 square inches of surface area to keep it cool at a moderate speed. Once you start looking a the area of a heatsink thats not really all that much.

Tell us what you didn't like about the warm tint. My current XML helmet light has neutral tint emitters and last nights ride was in a combination of fog and light mist. First time using that light in fog. The cool white of my bar light made more glare than the helmet light. It seemed to me that the neutral worked better. The neutral doesn't look as bright as the cool but overall it is pretty nice and it still is a lot of light.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    ... using a diode/resistor hack from Comfychair on BLF
    What is that?

Why don't you use these housings - you only need full power when riding fast with lots of wind to cool!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    using a diode/resistor hack from Comfychair on BLF
    Is this thread what you are referring to ?