mtbr member
    Aug 2007

More DiNotte questions:

I know many of you mount the DiNotte on your helmet, but what about the battery pack? Is the 4 AA battery pack too heavy if mounted on the helmet, does it cause the helmet to move when hitting rough spots? Is it better to just get the long cable version and keep the battery in a pocket or back pack? Would the long cable version also be usable as a bar light, or is the excess cable too much of an inconvenience? I suppose the excess cable would be wrapped in a velcro strap for the bar mounted light. Sorry for all the questions, but I am the type who researches a product to death before I spend my money on it. A good point to that is I usually am satisfied with my purchase, a bad point is I can't make up my mind.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have two 200L lights one has the long cable and one has the short cable. I've ran the short cable on the helmet with the battery attached and it worked fine. I didn't like how heavy it was though. it's 200gr instead of just the 85gr for the light head. If it were me I'd either buy the long cord or buy the extension cord dinotte offers. The extension cord may be the way to go since the long cord isn't quite long enough for me to throw my batteries in my jersey pocket. If it were 1" or 2" longer I could. Anyways if it were me I'd definetely get a long cord version or buy a longer cord due to the excessive weight. With just the light head on my helmet I can hardly tell it is there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks, ssuperlight, I didn't know an extension cable was available. That is what I will do if I get the DiNotte. Yeah, I just went and looked at their site and only see cable for the Li-ion version.

jrk
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I agree with SSuperlight. I'm running two 200Ls: short cord on the handlebar and a long cord on the helmet with the battery pack in the Camelback's outer pocket. It's a wonderful set up.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by denmikseb
    I know many of you mount the DiNotte on your helmet, but what about the battery pack? Is the 4 AA battery pack too heavy if mounted on the helmet, does it cause the helmet to move when hitting rough spots? Is it better to just get the long cable version and keep the battery in a pocket or back pack? Would the long cable version also be usable as a bar light, or is the excess cable too much of an inconvenience? I suppose the excess cable would be wrapped in a velcro strap for the bar mounted light. Sorry for all the questions, but I am the type who researches a product to death before I spend my money on it. A good point to that is I usually am satisfied with my purchase, a bad point is I can't make up my mind.
    I'm running a 600L on the handlebars and a 200L on my helmet. I'm using the 200L with the small (2 cell) lithium ion pack mounted near the back of the helmet and works well. I wouldn't run the 4 cell pack on the helmet its just a bit too heavy.

Karl

mtbr member
    We have run both, long cable with the battery in a pocket or hydration pack, and AA or lithium batteries on the helmet. I think it's personal preference. The battery on the helmet can be placed so it counter balances the light, and you have no cables to deal with when you take off your pack or helmet. Batteries in the pocket are easier to change when you do a long ride, or like some of us, forget to charge the batteries (or forget which set is charged...) My preference it the battery on the helmet, but I'm mainly a bar-mount rider,

As for long cables on the bar - we've done that. It's a pain to wind the cable around the top-tube, but no biggie. Just strap the battery to the seat tube...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks all for the replies. I am looking at this purchase from 2 points of view. First, it will be a helmet light for my MTB, second it will be a bar light for my road bike, so I am trying to get the one version that will work the best for both.

...a wiggle theres a way
    i have the light / and battery pack attached to my helmet and another one attached to my handlebars - it works out perfect when im riding my road bike home.

i don't find the battery/light setup to be to heavy at all - (im riding about 20miles) but than again aa batteries are pretty light -- and since im not a spandex man i don't have jersey pockets that i can slip my batteries into

so give it a whirl

cheers
    joe

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggy
    i have the light / and battery pack attached to my helmet and another one attached to my handlebars - it works out perfect when im riding my road bike home.

i don't find the battery/light setup to be to heavy at all - (im riding about 20miles) but than again aa batteries are pretty light -- and since im not a spandex man i don't have jersey pockets that i can slip my batteries into

so give it a whirl cheers
    joe
    I'm not real concerned about battery location on the road bike but don't really want loose cable draped about. I am mostly concerned with a battery pack causing my helmet to move around when off-road on a rough stretch. I think the answer is for me to get the 200L with short cable and also the cable extension. For a few dollars more I will have (in effect) the short and long version lights.

BBW
    mtbr member
    the Li-on comes with extension also so you can mounted both ways and also you forget about those anoying AA batteries. Plus it comes with 2 batteries and have longer burning times

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Whoops - I now see Dinotte doesn't offer an extension cable for their AA packs. Now I have to rethink this. The confusion was caused by me, I thought all you talking about the 200L meant the AA battery version, now I see there is a 200L lithium!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've got the 200L and run it on my bars. I have used it for road and MTB and it works great for both. I'm very happy with it for both uses. It may not be enough light for the hardcore downhill tech trail user but I don't care about going that fast anymore. On the road I feel comforable up to 30 mph on know roads. I've got the small bat pack on my stem and I hardly notice the light or the battery. They are just so light. I went with the lithium because of the long burn time and 2 bat packs. I have no reason to be sorry so far. I don't know how well the helmet mount works, I use a Stella on my helmet with the cord going to my camelback with the bat pack. I tried the 200L with small bat pack on my helmet just to see how it feels and I would rather have a cable going to a backpack than have the extra weight on my head....even though it's on 3/4 lb. with the dinotte. With this setup I feel very comfortable with any trail I have ridden so far. I think it would work great as a 24hr setup and plan on trying it next year.