Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

And more batteries

I picked up these two batteries and the charger with mains adaptor for £105 new..

As you can see from the pictures the charger has a XT60 connector and the lipos have 5.5mm bullet connectors.
    Whats the recommendation:
    1.Chop of the bullet connectors on the lipos and replace with XT60 connectors? can XT60's handle the charge current?
    2.Chop of the XT60 on the charging wire and replace with 5.5mm bullet connectors?

Cheers
    Last edited by Goldigger; 03-10-2011 at 01:06 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Surely it depends on what you want on the other end? Personally I use EC3, but some people still like deans?

The XT60 can handle over 60A? although the other two are about the same?

One plug is easier than two?

mtbr member
    I'm stumped as to why Turnigy have put different connectors on the lipos, and charger.
    Whats the reason?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    My guess is you can buy different leads for different batteries.

huge image

Are you missing the adaptor cables? - Looks like they use the XT60 in the middle?

mtbr member
    I have had one of those chargers for a few years with no probs, also managed to get five years from my battery packs via balance charging(DX cells soldered together).

Just decide what you want on the end of you batteries so that they plug into the socket of choice on your lights. Then stick the same socket your lights have on the end of the charger and all will be happy.

mtbr member
    I've been fidling around with the same batteries and a similar charger (actually a B6AC). Also had the same problem. The charger has a few adaptors but no one off them is the 5.5mm bullet kind.

I'm not too worried about the amps because I do not intend to charge the batteries faster that 2 A and at least for now I'm sure that no light I have will pull a lot more than 3A.

I got deans, EC3 and XT's. Not sure which one I will choose but the EC3 do look the best ones. A good balance between size and a secure and proper keyed connection.

I would prefer something more water resistant...

mtbr member
    I got an AC6 (similar to that one) a while back with a huge bunch of cables, although unfortunately the 3.5mm jack one didn't connect properly with my MS connector. So I just cut the end off one of the cables I could never see myself using and spliced on a MS male plug. Et voila, I can now charge all of my various battery packs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bravellir
    I've been fidling around with the same batteries and a similar charger (actually a B6AC). Also had the same problem. The charger has a few adaptors but no one off them is the 5.5mm bullet kind.

I'm not too worried about the amps because I do not intend to charge the batteries faster that 2 A and at least for now I'm sure that no light I have will pull a lot more than 3A.

I got deans, EC3 and XT's. Not sure which one I will choose but the EC3 do look the best ones. A good balance between size and a secure and proper keyed connection.

If you have the thick wire like on my lipo's, thinks its 10awg. I read that it will not fit in the xt60 connectors..
    Can you confirm this?

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Dont think so, just did a quick google and people are having fun with 8 gauge, mostly around having too low a powered iron. I'd swap for EC3 or 5. They are only a couple of quid on eBay.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Personally I like the Dean's connectors. I guess it didn't hurt that my Battman charger came with Dean's so it made sense to standardize all my batteries on that connector. Espeically with some of the higher capacity batteries like the Turnigy pictured you're going to have a heck of a time soldering the 10 guage wire to anything smaller than a Deans connector so I'd suggest going with them. All my lights use Magicshine cables from the light head back to the battery so I just cut off the end of the cable and solder a Dean's on. Once you've standardized like this then it becomes easy to put things inline with the battery to monitor power and voltage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And more batteries-img_1382.jpg  

And more batteries-img_1384.jpg  

And more batteries-img_1385.jpg  

And more batteries-img_1393.jpg  

Last edited by kwarwick; 03-10-2011 at 04:27 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I think it just comes down to preference, any of the connectors are ok, 10 can fit in the EC3, but EC5 would be easier. A lot of the RC guys are dropping deans for EC3 for right or wrong.

Get both and try them out :-)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bravellir

You know it is going to be a serious light when you start to worry about it pulling more than 60 amps!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldigger
    If you have the thick wire like on my lipo's, thinks its 10awg. I read that it will not fit in the xt60 connectors..
    Can you confirm this?

Cheers
    It won't. I even had trouble soldering it to the deans connector ( I started by using deans while I waited for the other connectors to arrive from ebay )
    I had to cut part of the wire to make it thinner and easier to handle.
    I don't believe this is a problem, again, because it won't be anything close to 60A passing thru that cable. Even after I modded the wire, it still had a larger section than the connector anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLee
    You know it is going to be a serious light when you start to worry about it pulling more than 60 amps!

yeah I heard that George is working on the new Z60Flex right now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLee
    I think it just comes down to preference, any of the connectors are ok, 10 can fit in the EC3, but EC5 would be easier. A lot of the RC guys are dropping deans for EC3 for right or wrong.

Get both and try them out :-)
    Are you heat shrinking any of your EC5 connectors in any way?

From reading the net, most people seem to be swapping the 5.5mm bullets for these.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldigger
    Are you heat shrinking any of your EC5 connectors in any way?

From reading the net, most people seem to be swapping the 5.5mm bullets for these.
    Currently have EC3 heat shrinked on the outers just to give strain relief, you don't need to do internals like you do with deans -

mtbr member
    Cheers for the EC5 heads up, got a load from ebay and put them on charger lead, batteries and the triple P7..
    There APITA to solder though with the 8awg battery leads..

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Pre-tin the cable and connector and just keep the connector hot (try holding them in a block of wood with a hole drilled in it rather than something metal).

mtbr member
    Pretty much What I did..just held the connector in a vice and got it red hot.

What's the advice on charging? Just charge at 1c so for my packs that would be 5.8amps as there 5800mah?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    No Idea, not got any fancy chargers, I plug mine in until the light goes green :-)

mtbr member
    Just charge at 1c so for my packs that would be 5.8amps as there 5800mah?
    that would charge your pack in 1 hr !!!!!!
    and would get warm too....
    no, i`d charge at 1Amp at the most
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY HEY ITS HENDO
    that would charge your pack in 1 hr !!!!!!
    and would get warm too....
    no, i`d charge at 1Amp at the most
    Says on the back of my packs not to exceed 2C, my understanding of that is 1C is 5.8amps and 2C is 11.6amps..

I've just given the 4S 5800mah a balance charge at 2amps, nothing got warm. each cell finished on 4.20v

mtbr member
    Where can i get some of this grey sponge for packing out my battery bottle in the UK?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Electronics parts are often protected by that sponge. I usually find it on hard disks boxes and on big computer manufacturer’s packaging.
    Some cheap pillows (ex: ikea) are made with a sponge that works great for the same purpose.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast