mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Modding a Planet Bike Super Spot?

So while I have been figuring out what I am going to order to make my achesalot style light, I decided to pick up a Super Spot to keep me a bit safer while just on the road these days. However, now I have been bitten by the mod bug...

Upon taking a quick look at the light here are some thoughts and questions:
    -It runs on 4 1.5V AAs, looks to be in series, so would that be equivalent to a single 6V battery?
    -Just going on looks, I think a Seoul P4 (bare emitter) would be the easiest to fit.
    -The fit will be tight though, there is a recessed spot in which the current emitter fits right into on the heatsink. (I guess I could file it down though.)
    -It is supposedly a 1W light.. and from what I have heard it uses "Gen. III 1W Luxeon Star" emitter. (Does the P4 have comparable dimensions?)
    -What resistor would I want to look at in order to drive a P4 at a decent current? (By the looks of it, I should be able to cut out the old resistor and solder in a new one.)

Any tips/help would be great!
    (If pictures would help, I might be able to put some up later.)

Do It Yourself
    I recently put a U-bin SSC in my Huntlight FT01 and it was easy twice as bright at the T-bin Lux III. The SSC is the same size as the Luxeon and so it's an easy swap. There are several mod examples on the net. Here's a couple that started with comparable 1W Lux, same as yours:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=155024

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=167551
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Awesome! Now why didn't I think to search that? Thanks a ton!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm getting mixed up in calculating what resistor I would have to put in to get a current of 0.7A or 1A for the P4...
    I calculated:

P = 3.7V * 1A = 3.7

and as P = V^2 / R then 3.7 = 6^2 / R ---> R = 6^2 / 3.7 = 9.7 Ohms

So, have I remembered highschool physics correctly?

And if that is true then would I need a 13.9 Ohm resistor to run 0.7A through the emitter?
    I might have mixed things up though... does anyone know?