Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004

Modding an old Vega - worth it?

I've begun to look into building a homebrew light to supplement the JET 20W halogen helmet-mount that I run. Is it worth attempting to save some costs by modifying (or re-using parts of) my old L&M Vega? I'm not even sure how to crack the thing open, so I don't know if it's feasible to replace the Luxeon with something newer/better. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thx,
    - Joe

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Forgive the bump, but I've emailed L&M and they seem to have blown off my query on how to open up one of their out-of-warranty products. So no one has tried to upgrade a Vega? I seem to recall a post from way back (can't find it now) that suggested an upgraded LED for a few more lumens. TIA,
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe
    I've begun to look into building a homebrew light to supplement the JET 20W halogen helmet-mount that I run. Is it worth attempting to save some costs by modifying (or re-using parts of) my old L&M Vega? I'm not even sure how to crack the thing open, so I don't know if it's feasible to replace the Luxeon with something newer/better. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thx,
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    Well, if you can get it open, you should be able to replace the Luxeon with a Seoul P4, as they're supposed to be an almost drop-in replacement. I don't know the specs on the Vega, but the P4 has been a noticeable upgrade for others using the Luxeon LEDs. I'm contemplating doing the same to a small LED headlamp that I converted to helmet lamp. My only concern is power consumption, as the headlamp runs on 3 AA batteries. Have to tear into it and find out what kind of current is being supplied.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    When I built my homebrew lights with Soeul P4s I ordered an extra. One of my riding buddies dropped the leftover into his Vega. Took him about 1 hr. He might have mentioned reverse threads on the unit to disassemble, but I could be mistaken. Much brighter running the same controller.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Thanks guys. The drop-in P4 was the mod I recalled reading about. I guess I'll give it a go and see if I can get it open w/o ruining it.
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    Front bezel is a left hand thread, everything comes out the front. The LED is star mounted (with screws, not epoxy), so you can use a Seoul or Cree star. The optics are Fraen 26mm (or was it 30mm?), held in place by an o-ring, it's actually quite a clever mount. Be careful, it's easy to kack the circuit.