mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Minewt .x2 and the trinewt

Anone actually touch either of these yet? I searched for reviews but saw nothing. The seem very promising. The X2 might be enough to complement my HID on the bars.

D.M.S.R.
    Jun 2007

Bought the X2

Being too lazy to mod the Luxeon in my current Minewt, I picked up a Minewt X2 and compared with my original Minewt.

In appearance, the light case of the X2 has a bronze clear coated coating, where as the original one had a flat black coating. Other than that, everything else including the battery looks the same. I like the stealthier flat black, and theoretically it would dissipate heat better.

The charger of the X2 is bulkier and not as compact as the original Minewt charger. The output rating of 1.5A is the same.

The mounting O-rings of the X2 has handy pull tab to facilitate the install/removal process.

After fully charging both batteries, I fired them both side by side on my ceiling to see if the newer X2 was indeed brighter. The beam center of the X2 is noticeably brighter than the original Minewt, even the low mode of the X2 is brighter than the Minewt original high mode. Also the focused beam diameter is exactly same between the two, however, the way it fills that "circle of light" is quite different:
    • The original Minewt has a hot center and there are subsequently less brighter concentric rings of light further away from center.

• In contrast, the Minewt X2 has a smoother transition of light from the hot center and all of the focus beam area is quite bright without any concentric rings of gradual darkness from center.

The extra useable brightness and slightly longer burn time of the Minewt X2 is well worth expense.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SKFLOW
    Being too lazy to mod the Luxeon in my current Minewt, I picked up a Minewt X2 and compared with my original Minewt.

In appearance, the light case of the X2 has a bronze clear coated coating, where as the original one had a flat black coating. Other than that, everything else including the battery looks the same. I like the stealthier flat black, and theoretically it would dissipate heat better.

The charger of the X2 is bulkier and not as compact as the original Minewt charger. The output rating of 1.5A is the same.

The mounting O-rings of the X2 has handy pull tab to facilitate the install/removal process.

After fully charging both batteries, I fired them both side by side on my ceiling to see if the newer X2 was indeed brighter. The beam center of the X2 is noticeably brighter than the original Minewt, even the low mode of the X2 is brighter than the Minewt original high mode. Also the focused beam diameter is exactly same between the two, however, the way it fills that "circle of light" is quite different:
    • The original Minewt has a hot center and there are subsequently less brighter concentric rings of light further away from center.

• In contrast, the Minewt X2 has a smoother transition of light from the hot center and all of the focus beam area is quite bright without any concentric rings of gradual darkness from center.

The extra useable brightness and slightly longer burn time of the Minewt X2 is well worth expense.

Thanks, great info. looking forward to more reports.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The only setback I found with the Minewt X2 is with battery placement. I use a 120mm stem on my road bike, any shorter the battery wouldn't have fit. If I mount the battery underneath the stem, it gets in the way of the cables; so I mount it on top. Mounting it on the handlebars worked also (kinda cool actually). I'm considering the 12" extension cord so I can mount the battery on my frame. Although I can't see much of a difference between the low and high setting, it's a great little light.
    LED........the "alternative fuel" of lights.

Slow climbin' clyde
    Oct 2006
    I have not seen the X2's battery to see if it's different, but I have a gen1 MiNewt. I have been mounting my battery on the top side of the top tube, just behind the stem. I loop the cable from the lamp under the handlebars and straight into the battery, which puts the battery cable port facing away from me as I'm seated.

Been working great for me. Never had any slipping or cable tension issues while steering. The best part is that the button on the battery is very convenient and easy to see with a quick glance if it's running low.
    “Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.” - H.G. Wells