Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    800

    Minewt getting more play than Stella

    Why is the Niterider Minewt getting more play than the Light & Motion Stella? The Stella has a claimed 180 Lumens vs the 150 in the new Niterider Minewt.

  2. #2
    Crunchatize me Capn'
    Reputation: jabpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,892
    My guess is that one of main reasons is the Li-Ion battery that comes with the X.2 and the much lower price compared to the Li-Ion Stella.

  3. #3
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Reputation: mtnbiker4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,132
    I'd like to know that myself. I am ready to pull the trigger on either one of those light. I am really skpetical about the NR rubber band mounting system. It seems like it would not hold up well on a mtn bike.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ZombieWV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    50
    The mounting system on the Niterider does work really well. The light is so small you don't need a big bracket to hold it on, and I think the rubber strap is more durable than it looks.

    The big difference between the two lights is the battery. The Stella has a bigger battery, but a longer run time. (Plus a longer charging time.)

    Keep in mind the Stella comes with a helmet mount while the MiNewt does not. If you factor that in, prices are about the same.
    Last edited by ZombieWV; 11-18-2007 at 06:13 AM.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    390
    Those rubber bands are crap. However i simply made up a mounting using a front reflector mount from a kids bike. I got the style that uses 2 bolts. One bolt holds the mount to the bar, the other would hold the reflector. The mini newt has a bolt holing the rubber band mount onto the bottom of the light. Simply remove the bolt, and then remove the mount. Now using a washer reinstall the bolt by sliding it up thru the reflector mount front hole. I kept the nuts that come with the reflector mount to uses as a spacer/stiffining system.
    I have almost ten rides on this now and it is rock solid.
    Bill

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    168
    I am using the Stella since a few weeks. I have no experience with other highend lighs, but am really happy with my Stella Li. Light is really small and gives a good lightpattern. The quality of the product is really good. They were aiming at the best product made, it seems. I like the 5 hour runtime with the high output. So far I haven't found a reason for more light, although I haven't ridden difficult trails yet.

  7. #7
    UFO Bike Commander
    Reputation: K'Tesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    75

    New question here. Pics? Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer
    ...i simply made up a mounting using a front reflector mount from a kids bike.
    I'm curious, how does it look. Can you remove the light when you lock it up outside? Got any pics?
    beam(dot)to/ufobike

  8. #8
    GMF
    GMF is offline
    Mmm... Tasty
    Reputation: GMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    698
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieWV
    The big difference between the two lights is the battery. The Stella has a bigger battery, but a longer run time. (Plus a longer charging time.)
    A couple points of clarification -

    The Stella 180L has a shorter charge time (2 hours as opposed to 3+), and another big difference, IMO, is the simple fact the button is on the light head and not on the battery. The Stella 180N, though, does have a longer charge time than the Minewt.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ZombieWV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by GMF
    A couple points of clarification -

    The Stella 180L has a shorter charge time (2 hours as opposed to 3+), and another big difference, IMO, is the simple fact the button is on the light head and not on the battery. The Stella 180N, though, does have a longer charge time than the Minewt.
    Yea, I was talking about the 180N. The 180L is a much nicer light than the MiNewt, but at $100+ more, it should be.

    I see lots of people on here complaining about the Niterider's rubber mounting straps, but everyone just says they seem like they won't hold up. Has anyone really broken or torn one yet?

  10. #10
    wot no bike?
    Reputation: pahearn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,056
    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer
    Those rubber bands are crap. However i simply made up a mounting using a front reflector mount from a kids bike. I got the style that uses 2 bolts. One bolt holds the mount to the bar, the other would hold the reflector.
    This is a great idea, I'd love to find a similar quick release bracket to adapt this idea to. If anyone has a source for something that might work let us know...
    pete

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: James@GearReview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieWV
    Yea, I was talking about the 180N. The 180L is a much nicer light than the MiNewt, but at $100+ more, it should be.

    I see lots of people on here complaining about the Niterider's rubber mounting straps, but everyone just says they seem like they won't hold up. Has anyone really broken or torn one yet?
    I have not seen any of the O-rings fail from NR, Lupine or DiNotte, or any other light that uses that system. I like it, personally. They hold the bar well and are easy to put on/take off. The O-rings stay attached to the light head, so the chances of forgeting part of the mount when travelling are eliminated.

    my $0.02.

    Back on the original topic, I think the reason that the Stella isn't as talked about as the MiNewt is due to two reasons: First, price, as stated. Second, the MiNewt has been around quite a bit longer. Give the Stella some time to get into the market more.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2
    Crossracer has a really great upgrade for the o-ring thing; sure beats going to NAPA or auto parts stores for matchup o-rings(super cheap) &/or zip ties. Looks better too! Piece of mind from wondering when the bands will break...priceless!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vecsus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,812
    Still a work in progress, but here are some pics of how I have my Minewt x2 Dual mounted up to my handlebar right now. And before anyone asks, no, my knees will not slam into those wing-nuts...they are too close to the stem for my knee to reach them. The clamps are 3/4 inch electrical counduit clamps with a hinged side that allows me to install and remove them quickly. I had to pad out the sides with electrical tape so it would be snug on the bar.





    Vecsus

    HTFU or STFU

  14. #14
    TranceX Rider
    Reputation: Onie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    951
    Nice DIY mounting(s), Vecsus!

    I'd just thought asking here as well since I have already posted this in one of the threads here in Bike lights...

    Just need a quick off-hand reply, 'Cuz am about to pull the trigger for a Minewt X2 (single).

    How would I be able to distinguish the new from the old model? Relatively important for me to know off-hand since I believe the new MiNewt.X2’s lumen output on low is greater than the first generation MiNewt on high. Aside from what NR webby says, a new titanium finish with an additional clear coat for added protection for the '08 models, most likely the packaging(?) other than that, what else?

    TIA!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

  15. #15
    UFO Bike Commander
    Reputation: K'Tesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    75

    The titanium finish is the only visible difference...

    Quote Originally Posted by Onie
    How would I be able to distinguish the new from the old model? Relatively important for me to know off-hand since I believe the new MiNewt.X2ís lumen output on low is greater than the first generation MiNewt on high. Aside from what NR webby says, a new titanium finish with an additional clear coat for added protection for the '08 models, most likely the packaging(?) other than that, what else?
    Out of the box, the titanium finish is the only visible difference between the MiNewt X2 and the older MiNewt systems (when turned off). The Sol variants have a larger battery. with a different switch location.
    beam(dot)to/ufobike

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: znomit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Onie
    ... for a Minewt X2 (single).

    How would I be able to distinguish the new from the old model?
    Its clearly labelled X2 on the box.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

  17. #17
    TranceX Rider
    Reputation: Onie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    951
    Thanks much, K'Tesh & znomit!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •