JKP
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Michilen Comp S Lights w/ Stans on an UST Rim.

Has anyone had luck mounting these tires (tubed versions) on an UST rim with Stans, also without any rim strips. The bead fit is a bit looser than with say a Python Air Light so I'm having trouble geting them to lock in place even with an air compressor. Any tricks that would help out? With Python Air Lights I've had no problems, sometimes I can even mount them with a hand pump.

So let's say I do get these tires mounted, has anyone had experience running this combination? Any drawbacks?

One more question, is there a Hutchinson tire that would have comparable performace to the Comp S Light in mildly muddy conditions. Just asking since the Hutchinsons seem to mount easy.

Thanks for your help.

MaLóŒ˘*size=
    hutchinson mosquito can suit those conditions.

I haven´t tried them

Lactic Acid is my friend.

Michelins not good with Stans

Quote Originally Posted by JKP
    Has anyone had luck mounting these tires (tubed versions) on an UST rim with Stans, also without any rim strips. The bead fit is a bit looser than with say a Python Air Light so I'm having trouble geting them to lock in place even with an air compressor. Any tricks that would help out? With Python Air Lights I've had no problems, sometimes I can even mount them with a hand pump.

So let's say I do get these tires mounted, has anyone had experience running this combination? Any drawbacks?

One more question, is there a Hutchinson tire that would have comparable performace to the Comp S Light in mildly muddy conditions. Just asking since the Hutchinsons seem to mount easy.

Thanks for your help.
    Michelins are known to not work well with tubeless sealant because they have a very soft casing and tend to burp and loose air a lot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have had no problems mounting and sealing these tires with Eclipse UST-rimstrip and Mavic 517 rims.
    Sealed easily with my footpump.

Back in Black
    Quote Originally Posted by JKP

Thanks for your help.
    I've run Comp S lite on XMax UST rims. A blow off was enough for me to not use them again (low 30 psi). That was the first and only ever blow off I've had in a couple of years. Good all round tire, but I found the sidewalls slashed was too easily.

I've been running Python Airlights for 1/2 a year with great results (non UST rim now).

MaLóŒ˘*size=
    michelin (versions with the brown sides) doesn´t work well with sealant.

michelin (the black rubber side version) work with sealant, but not a s good as hutchinson tires.

Max
    Velodramatic
    try the following: install the michelin with a tube first and inflate til you hear the *plopp* (beads hooked on rim). then deflate again, and push ONLY ONE SIDE OF THE BEAD back on the rim's bed. install the UST valve and pull the loose side of the bead (the one you pushed to the middle, NOT the one that's already hooked on the rim). should work that way....

BTW: my comp s didnt leak any air on crossroc wheels, even w/o any sealant!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Our local team rides Comp S light and Stans

Every one of the Racers use the Comp S Light and Stans combo. They live and breath them. I know they create thier own rim strips though..

I dont know first hand so I cant say for sure, but thats just what I have learned.

I am getting an Eclipse set from Dirtboy soo so I will give my No tubes stuff a try.

I am thinking of getting another rim set though. I really dont feel like gooping up my new wheels. I will use The Eclipse set with the Racing Ralphs on 517 rims..