mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Metal mount "Magicshine style"

This is a project to improve the thermal envelope of LED lights - an aluminium handlebar mount with a good thermal path.

The idea is to make a mount "Lupine/Magicshine style" and to add a thermal pad on the top and bottom. This way some heat from the lamp body will be dissipated in the aluminium handlebar.

Here is a model of the mount:

The dimensions are the same as in the Magicshine mount but it is taller to provide more clearance for the rubber ring and cable.

I plan to make plastic prototypes and see how it all fits together.
    CNC LED light housing for DIY projects

banned
    Aug 2012
    Go for it ... Just carve some metal.
    If the numbers are right, it will work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Good project. One thing to consider, and I think is one reason some people don't like the o-ring style mounts... In my experience the magic shine/knock-off mounts are technically sized for 25.4mm bars. Mounting on 31.8mm bars results in less contact between mount and bar, thus equating to a less stable light. I think if the curvature of the mount were better matched to bar size, more material will contact the bar and the light would be more stable. Just food for though. Let me know if you want any testers

mtbr member
    Makes for a really goofy looking helmet mount too with the light perched up on the faux "bar".

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I plan to use a silicon thermally conductive pad for the bottom part. And the diameter of the curve will be 28mm - to be in between 25.4 and 31.8mm

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    OK, I received the prototype and I need some tweaks before it's final.
    The big question now: to make it for 31.8mm bars or 25.4mm bars? Or make an intermediate - for 28.6mm and order a thicker pad to fit both 31.8 and 25.4 ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    My guess is most people are riding 31.8 bars, but there's no way I can really quantify that. Just guessing. It is the current standard.