Thread: MCE weakened

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

MCE weakened

My MCE which was running fine (and was a good light) has weakened substantially.
    It had a Recon 700mA driver and all was good until a week or so ago.

I swapped another 700mA driver in with low beam (Recon had high only) and it's still weak.
    I just swapped the battery pack and no difference.

I have no idea what's wrong.

Can anyone help?

It does get hot but I always turn my lights off when stopped.

aka RossC
    Have a look at the 'fluid' inside the LED.

I cooked and MCE once and the fluid went a brown/yellow colour. The tint of the LED also gradually changed to a warmer colour as the LED self destructed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It appears to be the same as when I bought it i.e. bright clear yellow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I fried an MCE also. The lens turned a dirty yellow color. I was amazed, because I was measuring the light output at the instant it fried. I wasn't being tooo mean, maybe 800 mA of drive current. Never have killed another one. James

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sounds like that's the most likely scenario then even though the lens looks good?

If not that what else could it be?

I don't want to get another one and do the same thing to it too.

Is it possible that it's still fried but retains the proper colour?

Maybe this throws some light on things (pardon the pun). I hooked it up in conjunction with the XPGx3 + XRE x 1 light with a T-lead running off a 14.8volt battery a week or so back.

All went well first night ride. First time I could really see on the tracks.
    Then at home one night not long after that I turned it on and it was dimmer.

mtbr member
    Could the problem be a high resistance solder joint?

mtbr member
    Is it a genuine MCE from a good source

and have you tried the drivers on another MCE

Could be you have just got a bad one you could check each die seperatly and see how they perform .

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It's from Cutter.

I don't think it's a solder joint as I've now changed everything including the lead and connector. I always check resistance after I solder and complete a light ready for final assembly.

Troutie I've been using this light for a few months. All ok until last week.
    I'll have a look and see if I can isolate the dies. Bit gumby fingered when it comes to the little fiddly bits.

It's the only MCE I have at the moment so can't easily test another.
    Probably means I'll have to buy one more.

PRETENDURO
    I cooked a triple EndorStar one time while using the light as a worklight when painting a room in my house. Bummer, as a bit of time and effort went into the building of that light. I had it running from a 1000mA 3023 Buckpuck. I guess the otherwise suitable heatsinking wasn’t adequate enough for a stationary object (the tripod I had it mounted on). The emitters took on a sort of brownish tint, and the light is hella dim now.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.