mtbr member

MC-E 4s + maxflex? Will it work?

Right,
    For the new helmet light I'm going to use one of my spare MC-E's (individually addressable).

I've got a spare maxFlex v5 that I'd like to use. Question is:
    What's the best way to get the most out of the LED? 2s2p, 4s?? I was hoping to use a 2 cell 18650 battery so what would be the best configuration for the battery too?

Cheers
    Steve

mtbr member
    4 S for the leds and 2S for the maxflex is the only one that will work properly

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb View Post
    4 S for the leds and 2S for the maxflex is the only one that will work properly
    Thanks Chris
    Next dumb-arse question...how would I go about wiring the MC-E in 4s?
    Steve

mtbr member
    A BIT TIDIER THAN THIS

mtbr member
    Like this:
    what sort of output can I expect from the 4s @ 700mA? It's a 370lumen Mc-e..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MC-E 4s + maxflex? Will it work?-imag0984.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    700mA is the current that Cree rated the emitter at so it will be ~370 discounting optical loss. I'd say ~300 OTF might be close. If you have the cooling area for it, the MCE will do fine at 1000mA. I actually found they look better in my builds at 100mA. There was a slight "greenish" tint at 700 that went away at 1000. Don't really get noticeably more light, just whiter. Your MCE may be a different tint and won't have that issue.

mtbr member
    According to the info on cutter the led is rated 370l at 350mA so would it not be double that without losses? Like the sound of over driving them @ 1a too. Housing should be plenty good enough to handle the heat. It's ! slightly modified version of my 7-up xpg housing...
    I'm hoping the beam from the reflector will complement the new 7 x XML nicely

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by deesta View Post
    According to the info on cutter the led is rated 370l at 350mA so would it not be double that without losses? Like the sound of over driving them @ 1a too. Housing should be plenty good enough to handle the heat. It's ! slightly modified version of my 7-up xpg housing...
    I'm hoping the beam from the reflector will complement the new 7 x XML nicely
    Oops!

You are right. I forgot that they binned the MCE at 350mA. You'll get 175% of 370 at 700mA. So 647 before losses.

mtbr member
    The only way you will get a good beam using a single MCE would be to use an Iris optic

or deep large reflector

and we have not yet seen a beam shot from your last light come on steve you are letting us down its dark now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb View Post
    The only way you will get a good beam using a single MCE would be to use an Iris optic

or deep large reflector

and we have not yet seen a beam shot from your last light come on steve you are letting us down its dark now
    Going to be using a Fraen reflector FRC-N 35mm jobby. It will fit into a spare 7-up xpg housing a treat. Made a new rear end for it too to help reduce the size/weight for helmet use. The bare housing weighs in at 75g's

I will do my best to do some beamshots on Weds as it's my biking night. Small babies tend to reduce the amount of time you can spend playing in the dark...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The Fraen is the best MCE optic or reflector I have built with. I did get a couple Iris but stopped using MCEs before doing a housing to fit.

mtbr member

A few 'nearly finished' pics...

Got all the machining done. Optic and switches on their way, battery being sorted by smudge..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MC-E 4s + maxflex? Will it work?-imag0989.jpg  

MC-E 4s + maxflex? Will it work?-imag0986.jpg  

MC-E 4s + maxflex? Will it work?-imag0987.jpg  

MC-E 4s + maxflex? Will it work?-imag0988.jpg  

MC-E 4s + maxflex? Will it work?-imag0990.jpg  

mtbr member
    That looks awesome

Anodising this one?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    nice!