mtbr member
    Jun 2009

MC 33.2 light in the making

After lurking here for a year and a half, I finally have something to show.
    I built a couple of Scar-clones last year with a Maxflex and 3x XRE. These lights were so much fun to plan and build, I thought I'd try again.
    This time with a MC 33.2 and a smaller housing. I was inspired by OD Texas' microlights, but this is somewhat bigger.
    There has been a lot of discussions concerning the importance of thermal pathways, so I decided to make it as simple as possible, with the pcb mounted directly on the heatsink. Furthermore it should be possible to make with a hacksaw, assorted files and a Dremel. I got an old heatsink at work, and started hacking away..

Here is the preliminary result. I thought it would be cool to make the front of the light of plywood, a material not often seen in this forum. Unfortunately the wall thicknesses are too small for strength. It does look cool with the straylight making the plywood almost translucent though.

As inline switches are expensive, I have done without one for now. The momentary switch for modes is supposed to be a remote switch for gun-mounted flashlights from DealExtreme. I have the switch, but can't seem to find it, so I guess the light is closer to a prototype at present.
    The optics are the wide version, as the narrow was sold out from Lux-rc. It may still work as a helmet light, as it's quite bright. I hope to back this up with beam shots this week.

Lars
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MC 33.2 light in the making-heatsink.jpg  

MC 33.2 light in the making-all_parts.jpg  

MC 33.2 light in the making-light.jpg  

MC 33.2 light in the making-side_view.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Interesting material choice for sure!

You can get other optics to fit the 332mc here...

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut861

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Vanc has me beat on Micro. His 2x Carclo is smaller than mine.
    Mine was small though.

These integrated driver/led mcpcbs really rock. I haven't tried any yet but they really allow for minimalistic builds. Chelboed pulled off quite a few as well.
    I like the wood look on the front of the light.
    You could also use stacks of polycarbonate sheeting. Not too hard to work with that stuff. Could even paint the inner sheets to keep light from bleeding through.
    Another option would be using Fimo like Whoz does on his Alien Eye

The green body is some sort of moldable "dough" that can be shaped and baked into any shape you need. You could even press or carve an inset for a glass lens to cover your optic if you wanted too. Of course you could do that with the plywood as well.

Like the light and love that you built it by hand. Looks really good.
    Hope you can get hold of the tighter optics.
    Keep the builds coming.

help with the zip please
    Lars that looks great, and I think also fair to say, unique. Well done

Can I ask why you cut the heat sink out of the centre of the block though and not out of one of the side pieces? It looks in the pics to be wide enough to have accommodated the light and would probably have given you two more fins for cooling, almost 25% more surface area