mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Maxx-D led and battery upgrade

Hi all,

My mk.1 Maxx-D is showing its age now. The battery only lasts ~60mins. Plus 960 lumens is fine for a solo night ride but means I'm riding in my own shadow as others have 1200 lumens+

I want to try and upgrade the leds to XML at the same time as replacing the internal battery. Has anyone done this?

I've seen Troutie's Vision 4 upgrade so I'm hoping the Maxx-D upgrade will be very similar (unless there's a 4 up XML star I'm not aware of).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Do you happen to know how many cells the internal battery contains? I have no experience with this light, but I'm curious what all would have to be replaced for your planned XM-L upgrade.

According to their website, the Mk2 (960 lumen) version of the light had Seoul P4's - which have a max current rating of 1A. I'm guessing there's only room for 3or 4 18650 cells in that housing - so there's likely a boost driver on board? Check your charger to see what the output voltage is - 12.6 would verify a 3 cell configuration, 16.8V would mean a 4 cell pack. Lower output - 4.2 or 8.4 would indicate something interesting going on with the LED and driver configuration.

Until you tear into it, you won't know for sure exactly what you have to replace, but I don't think the included driver is going to be suitable for XM-L's.

4-up XPG2's @ 1A would get you about 1200 lumen output though, and wouldn't require near as much part replacement.

Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the advice - very useful.

I'm assuming 3 x 18650 inside the light body but will find out soon enough. Good tip using the charger to check!

I was planning to replace the driver too (probably aim for 2000lm in total) but you make a very good point re: the XPG option. I'll have a look tonight but I presume 4 up XPG stars are still available?

Need to figure out how the smart port is wired up too...

mtbr member
    Well, I replaced the Seoul P4's in my TridenX a while back with XPG's and it worked terrific. I would think yours could be upgraded in the same way. Running them @ 1A is fine and you'll get a fair amount more light.

Take some pics of the inside - I've wanted to see how they do their batteries too.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Cutter offers a 4up 24mm diameter star in XPG2. Cutter Electronics

I don't know if the 24mm optics are too small for what you need - I'm guessing it is. cutter still offers a 4up lens for thier older MR11 kits - this is a ~35mm optic that was originally designed for use with XR-E's - I'm not sure how it would work with either XP-G or XM-L.

you might have better luck swapping in a 3-up XM-L and optic setup if you're gutting it all - running XM-L @ ~2A would be at your 2K lumen guestimate, be a bit better on batteries and would open up some optic options.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    Well, I replaced the Seoul P4's in my TridenX a while back with XPG's and it worked terrific. I would think yours could be upgraded in the same way. Running them @ 1A is fine and you'll get a fair amount more light.

Take some pics of the inside - I've wanted to see how they do their batteries too.
    Yeah - now I'm interested too - I have found one review that states thier battery in the Maxx-D is a 10400mah battery. That would mean 4 2600mah batteries in parallel I would think - if correct. Then the Driver would have to be a boost - or the LED's are paralleled together. That seems unlikely, since that would mean a 4A output from the driver, and runtime estimates would suck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm 99.9% the batts are in parallel, because the piggy back (external add-on) batts are available in one and 3 cell flavours. Presumably they need to be the same voltage, therefore can't be wired in series. I presume the internal batts are the same, therefore a boost driver fitted as standard.

Will I not be able to keep the same optics with 4 x XPG as I have with (presumably) 4 x P4s.

3 x XML U2 would be a great option but I was hoping to keep existing optic. If I have to change then this might be a better option. I'll check if lumicycle sell their optic separately.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Just opened it up

4 18650 batts (shrink wrapped so can't tell how wired yet)
    4 LEDs in series on what looks like a custom Al mounting plate

Will post photos soon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RicB View Post
    I'm 99.9% the batts are in parallel, because the piggy back (external add-on) batts are available in one and 3 cell flavours. Presumably they need to be the same voltage, therefore can't be wired in series. I presume the internal batts are the same, therefore a boost driver fitted as standard.

Will I not be able to keep the same optics with 4 x XPG as I have with (presumably) 4 x P4s.

3 x XML U2 would be a great option but I was hoping to keep existing optic. If I have to change then this might be a better option. I'll check if lumicycle sell their optic separately.
    You probably can use the same optics. At least I did when I put XPG in for P4.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354136698.734976.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  20.2 KB

Looks like custom star

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354136761.926323.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  19.8 KB

And the battery looks like a simple shrink wrap. Struggling to get the battery out as its held very securely

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    where's the driver - other end of the housing?

Man - those old Seouls almost look like you could put XPG2's in their place on 10mm stars and almost be the same height.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Presume driver is behind the battery, which is stuck in fairly tight!

Thinking of just making up a new plate and expoxying the new LEDs to it, rather than dremeling off the old LEDs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    where's the driver - other end of the housing?

Man - those old Seouls almost look like you could put XPG2's in their place on 10mm stars and almost be the same height.
    When I do the Hope 4 upgrades the XML on 10 mm square boards is a straight swop for the Seouls .

Not a great heat path for the leds there .

the other end does unscrew also but can be tough and stubborn.

space at the other end is tight to fit an aftermarket driver in as well as switch

I doubt the adition of lower VF leds will work with the existing driver as when I did it with a Joystick it came on bright and then dimmed I figured they were taking the lower VF as a sign of overheat situation and when I replaced the existing led it worked fine .

Keep it up and keep us informed as to how it goes

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The other end doesn't unscrew, I think it's a blanking plate.

The heat path is fine, there's a ~8mm thick ring the led plate sits on that gives a good surface area contact with the light body. Plus don't forget the light body is much larger than with other lights because the battery is self contained.

So Trout, you think XPGs with the current driver is a better option?

I've decided the easiest way is to make another plate for the new LEDs, rather than grind the existing ones off. This has the added bonus of leaving the old ones as spares in case I mess it up!

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    I think Troutie was saying lower VF LEDs, which most current LEDs would be, caused the driver to mistakenly think the light was over-heating so this would definitely be a challenge if the Maxx-D driver uses the same technique. Only way to know for sure is to try...

What's the diameter of the existing LED plate? If its 32mm you might be able to use some off the shelf 4 up LED boards like these:

Cutter Electronics

There should be some match optics to go with that board so that could be any easy retrofit if the sizes match.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks, I considered that but the plate is much bigger- approx 50mm.

It's obviously a custom job for USE so I doubt a drop in replacement is available.

Ok sounds like new driver regardless, so I may as well go for XMLs after all!

Sorry- I'm still a little new to this, and A level technology was a loooong time ago!

If I run 4 x XMLs in series, aiming for 1.5A, what will the total current drain be on the battery? Logic dictates 1.5A but that seems low for a 4 x XML. What am I missing?

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by RicB View Post
    Thanks, I considered that but the plate is much bigger- approx 50mm.

It's obviously a custom job for USE so I doubt a drop in replacement is available.

Ok sounds like new driver regardless, so I may as well go for XMLs after all!

Sorry- I'm still a little new to this, and A level technology was a loooong time ago!

If I run 4 x XMLs in series, aiming for 1.5A, what will the total current drain be on the battery? Logic dictates 1.5A but that seems low for a 4 x XML. What am I missing?
    Honestly, if it gets to the point of replacing the driver, I wouldn't suggest attempting this unless you're very experienced in LED tech like Mr. Troutie. I can foresee significant challenges finding just the right driver voltage and current wise that would still fit in the available space while using the factory switch and connector locations.

If I was to attempt this, the plan would be either 4 XPGs or 4 XMLs, powered by the factory driver. A replacement aluminum plate with 4 individual LED stars attached with thermal epoxy seems like the best approach. Hopefully the existing optics would still provide a reasonable beam pattern, or perhaps you can find a matching 4up 50mm optics for XPG or XML (I don't recall any off hand).

Sorry if this comes off a bit discouraging, but there are actually a lot to details to consider with a retro-fit and it may turn out not to be practical vs. buying or building a new light.

Karl

mtbr member
    Another option is a 7up driver board with the driver on the led board. They are 40mm. Cutter might be out but I have one...
    "It looks flexy"