mns
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

maxflex questions

hello,

I have a few questions about the maxflex drive:
    -I can't enter the threemode. when I enter UIB2/UIB2Q in the menu, instead of the light to go dim, it turns off (2 flashes).
    -in order to enter the menu, I have to keep the switch pressed and apply the power, regardless if I am in the UIB or UIBQ mode.
    -i can't set the current drive to 700mA. I enter the "currnt drive selection" menu. this menu has 5 options, not 6 as stated in the manual. I click twice ( to enter the 3rd option (700mA). I press to save, press again and the light turns off, I then click to turn the light on and click again to go to the high level, and it is very high (as to ~1200mA).

can someone support me?

mtbr member
    Make sure you're using the right manual for your version of maxflex
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit
    Make sure you're using the right manual for your version of maxflex
    +1 Made this mistake myself with my bflex using the wrong version of the manual.

mns
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have maxflex v5.0

mtbr member
    Maxflex 5.0 does not have three mode
    you need maxflex 5.0A

IIRC

mns
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    at least that what it says on the board...

regarding the 700mA any advice?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Sounds like you have a maxflex5 versus the maxflex5A. The 5A has the same PCB layout and "looks" like a maxflex5. The main difference it that 3 components have been changed to support higher open circuit voltage AND the firmware has been changed to add three/tri mode and the extra current table.

You can TELL which VERSION you have by looking for the hand blue pen mark to the right of the 2 GND pads. If it has a U then it is a maxflex5, if it has a U2 then it is a maxflex5A.

From that you then know which manual to refer to in the maxflex tech section on www.taskled.com

What battery/led combo are you running?

I would suggest you do a menu #10 (reset settings to default) to get back to a known starting condition and then reference the correct manual.

cheers,
    george.

mns
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    thanks George for the feedback.
    unfortunately I can't see the version, because it is glued to the light body
    All I know is that I bought it from cutter early May...
    I sent an e-mails asking them, but it seems i got the maxflex5.

I followed the instructions of p13 (of instructions v3.3 for maxflex5) on setting the current @700mA.
    When I turn the light on normally, the light seems much brighter than when I set it at 700. Is it normal? at the moment my multimeter is broken so i can't measure the actual value...

I run 4x18650 batteries in series (~15volts)...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    How many LEDs? Total nominal Vf?

If you can't measure the current with a meter then guessing what current is flowing is a bit of a moot point...

cheers,
    george.

mns
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    yup, I forgot to mention 2 triple XPGs (6 total wired in series).
    nominal VF=3.2*6=19.2volts

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Well, that should be a good combo, 6 LEDs driven from 4 li-ion.

You'll need to get your meter operational if you want to know real drive currents. I test all drivers prior to shipping them to customers or to Cutter, so if you do a menu reset you should have UIP and the 350mA current table. That would be a good starting point to go from...

cheers,
    george.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mns
    I followed the instructions of p13 (of instructions v3.3 for maxflex5) on setting the current @700mA.
    When I turn the light on normally, the light seems much brighter than when I set it at 700. Is it normal?
    The light output is lower wehn in menue mode!! When switched on normally (not in menue mode) it is much brighter!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedog1
    The light output is lower wehn in menue mode!! When switched on normally (not in menue mode) it is much brighter!!
    Correct - the menu uses lower current levels - after all, you wouldn't want your 350mA LED to be subjected to 1300mA when trying to scroll through the menu options....

Like I wrote before - unless the OP has connected a meter to measure current, he's really just 2nd guessing things....

cheers,
    george.

mns
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I borrowed a multimeter from a friend and tested the light.
    I didn't want to dismantle the light, therefore I interfered the multimeter with one of the battery poles and measured the current there. The results are quite strange:
    The Vin was 15.25 volts.
    Vout (=Vf)=19.2 volt
    considering efficiency 90%, I get the following data:

- at "700mA" I get 1.08A at the battery, which based on the above numbers I get about 770mA, which is close to nominal 700mA. I guess that the efficiency is not exactly 90%, tolerances of the components etc. So far so good.

-Regarding the low mode (350mA), I read 230mA at the battery, which gives about 164mA at the leds ! ! ! ! ! .
    Am I doing something wrong?
    Actually I don't care much, because this gives more running time, but I am just curious if I am doing something wrong...

I also want to ask what exactly is menu #3 doing. does it control the "low" of the light?

thanks in advance all of you for your precious feedback.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The efficiency of the driver varies with input/output voltage and input/output current - it is not constant. Also, where and how you measure simultaneous input voltage/current and output/voltage current can easily change your calculation a few percent this way or that.

Anyhow, on your low mode, what UI? What is the Low setting? You really need to read the maxflex manual to understand what UI and mode you are in - i.e. duo, tri, three UIB, UIP etc etc.

Basically from your measurements the driver is functioning exactly as it should and your questions are indicating a need to RTM.... both the PDF and the tech section for maxflex at www.taskled.com

cheers,
    george.

mns
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    George,

I have set the maxflex5 at UIB2Q with max current @700mA (duomode).

The question is about the menu #3 in UIB2Q mode. What does it control? The minimum current?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Menu #3 controls the low level (of the duomode). You can specify for the low to be either L1, L2, L3 or L4. Obviously L5 is the high mode (of the duomode)

cheers,
    george.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mns
    George,

I have set the maxflex5 at UIB2Q with max current @700mA (duomode).

The question is about the menu #3 in UIB2Q mode. What does it control? The minimum current?
    RTFM 2x

mns
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Good job!

thanks all for the answers.
    everythinkgs ok