Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Marwi ViewPoint Mod

I have this light kit that someone gave me. The light isn't very bright and the battery packs wont hold a charge. I would like to convert this to use a DX P7 LED drop in. I priced out the part and it seemed more expensive that to just buy a new MagisShine Kit. I know people convert these so there must be an economical way to do it and thought I would post here.

I am pretty good at building stuff but I will admit that I am not an electronic guru. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to what parts I can reuse and a parts list of what extra I will need.

I want to build at lease one 4 cell battery pack and I have read that balanced charging and discharging can be a challenge. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marwi ViewPoint Mod-light.jpg  

Marwi ViewPoint Mod-pscloseup.jpg  

Marwi ViewPoint Mod-components.jpg  

Marwi ViewPoint Mod-pbcloseup.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Sounds like you want to speak to El34 :-)

http://www.hoffmanamps.com/MyStore/p...age=BikeLights

mtbr member
    A great place to learn the basics about batteries is http://batteryuniversity.com/.

Others will correct me is I err. NiMH have a lifespan dictated by basic design, time, treatment, and termperature. This is the 'older' Marwi light body, I have no idea when the last of these was sold, and the prior owner may have replaced packs, but I'm guessing they are so old that is is not surprising they no longer hold a charge. Actually older NIMH cells lost charge in storage normally. It is a matter of how fast. What may be surprising is that they take a charge at all. They will in all likelihood, not be recoverable.

So you will need new packs. NiMH were great compared to SLA (sealed lead acid), but the newer Li technologies hole more power in less weight at competitive cost. The charger needed is different. So you need battery pack(s) and charger(s),

EL34 is a great guy and since you have one or more mounts, and a light head, your shopping list is smaller than some. The P7 in his setup is within 20% or so of a triple XP-G and with the reflector, better placed light so the result is a draw. Simple battery, holders, charger, and driver setup, too. No balancing needed you charge each pair of cells.

The thread for EL34 light:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=220241

My Bullet shaped (newer Marwi Thread (to show I relate to your situation):
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=260534

A thread converting your style light with a triple XP-G light engine (LED + driver):
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=288706

A thread of your style light with copper pipe cap heat sink:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=254367

A quad conversion:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...90#post3073690

A thread discussing the copper pipe cap heat sink approach:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=252568

You can search this forum yourself. Have fun.

EL34's heat sink is cheap relative to the time adapting a copper pipe cap. His reflector is proven. His P7 star looked to be a fair price, though you might find better elsewhere. The charger and batteries ditto , but shipping from one place has economy, too.

You are unlikely to undercut the MJ-808 price by much, if at all since you need batteries, too. If you ordered from Geomangear.com, you would be well backed. However, you would not have the same sense of accomplishment that building/modding one yourself brings. With care, it should be a better light. You would also be versed enough to upgrade it again if you wish.

Carbon8er
    Thanks for the links gents.

Regarding what is re-useable in that pile.

The Black Marwi light shell with the slide on mount
    Possibly the switch.
    The wires if you want to continue to use the trailtech connectors

Other than that, not much you can do with the rest of it.

A new Magic shine will be cheaper to buy than to buy the parts to mod that light, buy batteris and a charger, plus all the labor
    And you must have the DIY skills to do all that.

see this page for Marwi mod ideas.
    http://www.el34world.com/Misc/bike/BikesLights1.htm

MHC
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Pics show one of many Marwi nightpro conversions I've done, if using the batteries in your picture you'll need a boost driver like the Maxflex from www.taskled.com & the alloy heatsink is just a bit of ally bar turned down to be a nice tight fit in the housing.

I think the cheapest/easiest way would be one of El34's kits from the link in the post above or you might get lucky finding a drop in module on the DX/KD websites DIY sections.

Last edited by MHC; 10-23-2010 at 11:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This is what I am thinking. I would love any feedback.

Purcahase this from El34

HeatSinkMarwi Machined heat sink with screws
    R1Machined 35mm Machined reflector
    Glass34.8mm 34.8mm Glass Lens

Purchase this from DX

20330 Regulated CV/CC LED Driver Circuit Board for Cree MC-E/SSC P7 Emitters (8.4V Max Input)
    5790 TrustFire Protected 18650 Lithium Battery (2500mAh 2-Pack Blue)
    12721 SSC P7 C-Bin LED Emitter with 21mm Heat Sink Base (3.6V~3.7V)

Stuff I already have

Dual battery charger that El34 uses.
    Housing
    Switch,
    Battery connectors
    Helmet Mount

I would build battery pack using 4 TrustFire Protected 18650 connected in parallel and modify my charger to use trail tech connectors I already have.

This all seems doable and for under 60 bucks. My question at this point is about the driver. It accepts 8.4V but I am assuming that my 3.4V pack will be fine too? It doesn't specifically state what the output voltage is but I assume it is 3.7 since thats what the SSC P7 needs.

This driver seems to be a single mode driver which is what I want. I want high and off, that's it, simple. I am assuming that hooking this up is just a simple inline connection?

As a side note, I was wondering, when you have a multi mode driver, do you need a multi-mode switch too?

Thanks,

David

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've used that driver in the past with the multmode slave board too, it is a buck driver so the input voltage will need to be higher than the output voltage, ideally you should power it with 7.4v

On the back of the board, the inner contact is positive, the outer ring is negative.

With regards to the modes, for the multimode version of this particular driver, the modes are changed via cycling the power, you can do this on either the latching switch, or via another momentary push-to-break (NC) switch inline.

A lot of the higher end drivers (taskled) will use a momentary push-to-make (NO) to change the mode etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    OK thanks for the info. I will wire my battery pack in series/parallel then.

I found this 18650 Lithium Ion 4 cell battery holder at digikey for under $3. I have orders sensors from them before and they are easy to work with.

Carbon8er
    MHC,
    Cool idea on the slug.

Looks like the slug is almost as wide as the flat area inside the shell.
    Does your optics stick out past the threaded area once the whole assembly is in place?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    MHC,

What LED is that? Can you post a link to where you got it?

David

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    One more question. El34, if I wire my pack in series/parallel can I still charge the pack with a mod'd charger like the one you have on your website? I have that same charger from DX and was planning on mod'ing it the same way you have accept using the trail tech connectors.

Thanks,

David

mtbr member
    May 2010
    No, the charger is designed to charge a 3.7v battery with a cut off voltage of 4.2v.

You will need to either buy a charger designed for a 7.4v battery, or remove the cells for charging.

http://www.batteryspace.com/smartcha...ackseries.aspx

MHC
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    El34 - the slug is just long enough to allow the optic/LED board to fit in to the housing & screw the the front on, the rear of the slug is chamfered to sit in the angled part of the housing, I use Bflex drivers & have the temp monitor set to 50C, in doors at 20C they dim after about 6 minutes from cold but on the trail they rarely dim at all here in the UK.

djonesax - its just the standard Cutter MR11 kit http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail....=cut890&cat=41
    Last edited by MHC; 11-09-2010 at 12:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What is the lumen rating on that? How does that compare to the p7?

David

MHC
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Anywhere from 700 for triple XPE to 1300 for a quad XPG I'd say better than a P7 because of the lower drive current & cooler running.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have been researching this a lot over the past couple weeks, I have spent a great deal of time on El34's website and the Cutter site. I have the same MTE SSC P7 flashlight that EI34 used on his first Marwi conversion. I was thinking about taking mine apart and doing the same thing but I got to wondering why that was not good enough and he build another which included a fairly elaborate driver set up. I am wondering what, pitfalls there are to be considered if I were to build a light like his fist build.

Thanks,

David

Carbon8er
    I built those flashlight conversions before I figured out that the Marwi Halogen lights could be converted to P7 lights.

Lots of lathe work is involved in the flashlight conversions and you still have to make some sort of mount.

All that goes away using the Marwi shells.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the quick reply. I was actually talking about the fist Marwi conversion you have on your website using the guts of a MTE P7 LED flashlight.

http://www.el34world.com/Misc/bike/BikesLights8.htm

I was thinking about purchasing the heat sink from your website and then based on that link above, I have all the other parts.

Thanks,

David

Carbon8er
    Cool,
    Let the fun begin, eh?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    El34,

In the mod http://www.el34world.com/Misc/bike/BikesLights8.htm....

Am I correct to assume that if I only want to run the light at high power that I do not need a driver as long as my pack is wired in parallel? Since my pack will output 3.7v and that is what the light wants, am I good with out a driver?

David

Carbon8er
    I have run them without current limiters before.

The current level can be quite high on a freshly charged pack, for maybe the first 30 minutes.
    I have seen 3+ amps without a current limiter.

After that, the battery pack voltage drops down enough to lower the current.

If you keep the light super cool with lots of air it may be ok, but I am guessing that the P7 may have a shorter life.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What about the flashlight itself, doesn't it have a driver that I can salvage? Currently I am using my MTE flashlight as a bike light which I have mounted to my helmet. Works great, but it's heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El34
    I have run them without current limiters before.

The current level can be quite high on a freshly charged pack, for maybe the first 30 minutes.
    I have seen 3+ amps without a current limiter.

After that, the battery pack voltage drops down enough to lower the current.

If you keep the light super cool with lots of air it may be ok, but I am guessing that the P7 may have a shorter life.
    This is interesting. I've not heard of someone doing this before. If you used an SST-50 instead of the P-7 you might get near 850lm for 20min or so before the voltage/current began to drop. I'm not sure however if this is good for your batteries. The SST-50 can easily handle the current though. Wither it can handle the entire voltage drop of battery remains to be seen. Still, I would love to see a "Ghetto" set-up like that in action.

Carbon8er
    What about the flashlight itself, doesn't it have a driver that I can salvage? Currently I am using my MTE flashlight as a bike light which I have mounted to my helmet. Works great, but it's heavy.
    None of the simple MTE flashlights I own have drivers in them.
    They run direct off the battery.

The two way flashlights that I have owned have just a resistor for the low setting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by El34
    None of the simple MTE flashlights I own have drivers in them.
    They run direct off the battery.

The two way flashlights that I have owned have just a resistor for the low setting.
    So here is my thinking, albeit ghetto... I am currently using the MTE flash light as a bike light and it works perfect for me with the exception that it is heavy. I rode an hour in the pitch black yesterday on a full battery and had plenty of battery and light to spare at the end of the ride. I am only night riding because of the time change and cold weather goes along with that around here so cooling wont be a huge issue for me. The flash light stays cool as it is now in this weather. My only complaint is the form factor of the flash light and the battery life. I have this Marwi housing which has a much better form factor. If the flashlight has no driver and it works well for me, then I think I'm going to just gut an MTE and put it into the Marwi housing. I hate to be ghetto but I am also looking for easy!

I want to keep my packs in parallel and It seems that unless I build a driver like El34 I am stuck with driver that requires a higher voltage.

David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast