mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Marwi nightpro extreme evo just died...

Was heading out to ride before sunset. Turned the light on and it worked fine and then turned it off... a couple hours later, as it was getting quite dark, stopped to turn it on. You can guess the rest... nothing. Luckily also had my Joystick, but that slowed the ride home... (no Joystick jokes...).

I assume the bulb just finally gave out as I've had this light for several years. Marwiusa.com is no longer there... where can I find replacements?

The manual doesn't give any details as to what the bulb is other than generic "HID".

Is there anything else that is a common source of failure with these lights - I don't see any obvious bad connections, but haven't pulled it apart. Anything I should do to trouble shoot?

Coincidentally, I just ordered a Magicshine as a back up for 24 hours of Moab next month - looks like I may need another backup now if I can't fix the Marwi...
    (Is the Marwi still worth fixing or have the new lights passed it by to the extent Ishould just not worry about it?)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It's a generic Welch Allyn Solarc HID bulb, and until recently you could buy it directly from them with the exception that they had a $100 minimum order. But, Welch Allyn has divested in all of their non-medical products. They sold the solarc product line to Ushio. As far as I've been able to tell, Ushio doesn't have a mechanism to sell to end users.

mtbr member
    You can get the bulb from BatterySpace. Of course it could be the ballast that is defective and not the bulb. You can get either from BatterySpace but buying both runs you over $100. I hate to say it but you might want to consider other options....subliminal MagicShine plug

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Thanks guys...

I threw the battery on the charger and now it works... I was SURE it was charged before I left, so now I'm back to wondering if there's a loose connection, the battery is flaking out, or I'm just an idiot (which is possible).

Guess I'll try it again - but not without backup!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckred
    ...wondering if there's a loose connection, ... or I'm just an idiot (which is possible). Guess I'll try it again - but not without backup!
    I detect a redundancy here. think this sort of thing is meant to keep us humble. Remind us we are error prone and need checklists. I have had some short runs to a dead battery because I felt the charger's plug go in but did not see it FULLY seated and thought it charged. So there were two loose connections, but the most important one was above the neck! I have TWO cheap crawl home backups on board all the time. Riding Ninja isn't for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Great point- and the above the neck connection gets a bit looser every year!