mtbr member

Marwi Extreme Evo vs. Nite Rider MOAB

Hey,
    I need a new lightset. I want somthing bright, light, with a long run time. Shortish charge time is to be considered too, but is secondary. These two seem to be my best options. Here's what I'm thinking
    -The Nite Rider is higher wattage- brighter?
    -I've got a Marwi that just died, and, while it held up for a good long time, upon taking it apart to investigate, it looks like it was soldered together by a preschooler. It's old though. How are they doing for quality these days?
    -Run times, weight, and price are similar for both.

I'd love to hear any and all experience anyone has with these lights.

Cheers

Do It Yourself
    I had the Marwi Extreme HID for a while as well. It was an okay package for the money (just over $200 on eBay). The biggest negative was the voltage regulation at 12V into a 13.2V ballast putting it basically on "low" 8W mode all the time. I don't know if they have added anything recently but the Nite Riders I've looked at were all unregulated so they start out brighter and fade a bit over the burn time. That's still better than full time "low" mode.

The Moab has really long runtime by making a superpack with parallel cells. Personally, rather than put all your eggs in one basket, I would prefer multiple packs. It's safer, weighs the same, one can be charging while you're using the other, adds redundancy, etc.

However, if you're going to spend that kind of money, I would much prefer a nice LED system. LEDs are more robust, smaller package and lighter weight. You can knock them around, turn them on and off as much as you like, safely dim them to multiple light levels to extend burn time, have upgrade options as technology improves, etc. Look at the Dinotte 500L or Lupine Wilma in the same price range as the Moab.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Any thoughts on the Princeton Tec Switchbacks?

I can get EP on Marwi, NiteRider, PT, and a bunch of other brands. Can't do the same for Lupine or Dinotte though, putting them out of my price range.