mtbr member
    Apr 2007

magicshine upgrade idea

I was browsing the cutter site and noticed that a 4 up board of XR-Es and a cute optic to match will fit in the MS lighthead with only a simple slug get it spaced right and improve the thermal path.

barring the Vsense resistor issue on the MS driver, is there any reason that the 4 up board wouldn't work if I cut the traces on the mcpcb and reconfigure the LEDs in parallel?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slidecontrol
    I was browsing the cutter site and noticed that a 4 up board of XR-Es and a cute optic to match will fit in the MS lighthead with only a simple slug get it spaced right and improve the thermal path.

barring the Vsense resistor issue on the MS driver, is there any reason that the 4 up board wouldn't work if I cut the traces on the mcpcb and reconfigure the LEDs in parallel?
    My thoughts....Not sure how much current the MS driver puts out but I think I recall someone saying once it was 2.4A on high..(?)
    Maybe run a 2S2P combo with the LED's....or all 4 in parallel, not sure about the voltage drops for 2S2P.

Option #2...maybe wait till the XM is released in the fall. Should just require an LED swap-out. Might not be much brighter than the P-7 ( @ 2.4A ) but might get another 100-200 Lumen boost ( FWIW ).

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The ms900 outputs in theory is 2400mA @ 3.6V(around there) as the the P7 is 4parallel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    A 4up would only get 600ma to each LED rather than the 1000 you'd really like, still likely get nearing 800lumens compared to 650 area and possibly better focusing for head useage.