Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Got my gopro mounts from Vancbiker. They are awesome!
    I'm using a solarstorm X2 light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MagicShine GoPro Replacment Mount-gopro-mount-ssx2-lighthead.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Looks good on there! Are you bar mounting that or have a helmet with goPro mount?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I have the cheap chinese knockoff lights from amazon.com $31 specials. I left the thing at home and wanted to pickup two bolts/screws to fit the thicker mount I purchased from Vancbiker.

would anyone know the type of hardware used for this beast?

NEW 3800lm 3x Cree Xm-l T6 Led Outdoor Headlight Headlamp Bicycle / Bike Light - Amazon.com

-=Jason=-

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flomaster View Post
    I have the cheap chinese knockoff lights from amazon.com $31 specials. I left the thing at home and wanted to pickup two bolts/screws to fit the thicker mount I purchased from Vancbiker.

would anyone know the type of hardware used for this beast?

-=Jason=-
    So far, all the Chinese lights I've dealt with use an M4 x .7 thread. That is the "standard" for an M4 screw. 10 mm long suits many lights, but there are a few with really shallow threads that need an 8mm long screw. I advise using the longest one that will fit your light.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Re: MagicShine GoPro Replacment Mount

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    So far, all the Chinese lights I've dealt with use an M4 x .7 thread. That is the "standard" for an M4 screw. 10 mm long suits many lights, but there are a few with really shallow threads that need an 8mm long screw. I advise using the longest one that will fit your light.
    Thanks a lot

EDIT: for less than a $1 went to ace and picked up 2 M4 .7 x 10 and 2 M4 .7 x 12 just in case I needed something longer....

Tapped via TapaCrap from my HTC One Google Edition running on SinLessROM GE 6.2.0
    Last edited by flomaster; 03-04-2014 at 01:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    very cute, what do you think about mine?

central light bike

mtbr member
    Finally mounted my GoPro adapters from Vancbiker, awesome stuff at a good price.

MagicShine GoPro Replacment Mount-wallbuys.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Looks pretty good there. I'm curious about the orientation you have chosen. Most users with the duos and clones set the adapter up so that the GoPro tabs are under the middle of the light body. Yours are to the rear of the body. Clearance issue?

mtbr member
    Tried it both ways, doesn't seem to make a whole hell of a lot of difference but slightly preferred it more lower and more forward. I think more forward was slightly easier to mess with while riding. YMMV.

EDIT: I should add that there's a set of trails around here called "Tunnels"(if they ever re-open), you really don't want anything sticking up from you helmet. I might even cut the middle spine on the front visor to get the light head lower

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Looks pretty good there. I'm curious about the orientation you have chosen. Most users with the duos and clones set the adapter up so that the GoPro tabs are under the middle of the light body. Yours are to the rear of the body. Clearance issue?
    Last edited by socal_jack; 03-17-2014 at 08:40 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Revised concept

After dealing with all the variations in the Chinese lights and modifying the bases for folks that wanted me to do that, I decided to try to come up with a universal solution. I have learned that really the only common universal feature of the Chinese lights is that the mounting screw is M4. The rest of the dimensions seem to pretty freely float. Cables run from 3mm to 5mm round in a variety of .5mm increments and oval at 3mm by 5mm. The dimension from mounting hole to cable exit in the housing (for the lights with the cable exits from the o-ring mount) varies from 6.5mm to 14mm. Additionally some people ordered the cable exiting the side of the adapter while others wanted to retain the exit from the front of the adapter.

I have machined a 5mm wide by 5mm deep round bottomed cable groove in the base that runs fore and aft to accommodate the various mounting hole to cable exit dimensions. and a blind groove to the side. The grooves stop .05" (1.2mm) from the edge of the adapter. The end user will now need to use a small file, dremel tool, drill, etc. to remove the thin wall in the direction they want to run their cable.

The adapters will still be available with a plain tab for users to mod themselves.

Pricing will not change.

ABS plastic plain $5.00.
    ABS plastic modded $7.50
    Aluminum plain $12.00
    Aluminum modded $14.50

I still have the ability to modify outside the "standard" Chinese light needs or build something entirely custom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MagicShine GoPro Replacment Mount-dscn1412.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005

Works with the MS tail light too!

This is one of the ABS adapters mounted to a MagicShine tail light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MagicShine GoPro Replacment Mount-ms-tail-light-gopro-adapter.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hi Vancbiker,This looks just like what I am looking for - Do you post to the UK?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yes, I'll send anywhere the USPS will deliver. PM (private message) sent.

mtbr member
    Thanks to Vancbiker for hooking me up. Worked perfectly with the knockoff magicshine. Thanks Kevin!

MagicShine GoPro Replacment Mount-10406573_10203933704453283_439547722902520056_n.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That's looking good!

The Bell helmets with the built-in GoPro mount have been quite popular to use one of my adapters with. The Gemini Duo and the SSX2 and their clones have been the most widely used on that helmet based on ordering info.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Another variant

Ran a prototype for a forum user that adds a bit more cooling for the light. This version will only be available in aluminum. Adds about 1.25 square inches of surface area to my original adapter help shed heat. Looks kind of cool too IMHO. Should be helpful for those in warmer climates. PM for additional info.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MagicShine GoPro Replacment Mount-dscn1551.jpg  

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Very Cool! No pun intended!

mtbr member
    It was my request. I rigged up one of those Duo clones thusly:

But Kevin's is much better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    You buy the light at USD31. Do you want to buy this part adding USD19? But I think it is fit for this light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bicyclerider View Post
    You buy the light at USD31. Do you want to buy this part adding USD19? But I think it is fit for this light.
    I just got the light to play with- I mostly use my home builds, but this cost less than the parts to build one. Not too keen on the beam colour though...

The mount is a definite upgrade- better heat sink and much stronger that the silly o-ring. Vanc is entitled to his $ for this- it's less than a lot of other mods I've done.

mtbr member
    After using Kevin's adapter for my helmet light on my Bell Super, i decided try using the additional adapter I had on my Niterider Pro1800 because the NR bar mount, although a nice solid mount, was gouging the under side of my handlebars because of the threads from the tightening bolt that runs underneath.
    So I drilled and Dremeled what I needed and I use the GoPro Handlebar/seatpost mount on the part of the steerer tube/spacers that sticks up past the stem. Using a couple rubber strips between the contact points on the mount and the carbon spacers and I can literally lift the bike from that mount. This is what I have now and the light is centered and has full angle adjustments.
    Thanks again Kevin...looks like I'll be ordering a few more adapters since I'm finding more uses

MagicShine GoPro Replacment Mount-photo-2.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Very good! I like how that fits the light. I don't recall seeing anyone mount their light like that before.

I've never looked at the NR1800 so don't know how big or heavy it is. I'm guessing it is a dual or triple LED? I've been recommending that the ABS adapter be used on single or small dual LED lights and the aluminum adapter for the big guns. The ABS is pretty tough, but it is plastic after all.

mtbr member
    The NR1800 head unit isn't much bigger than the magic shine clone I have and the weight difference isn't too much either considering it's a triple LED. NR says the whole light system w/battery is 484g and it's a big battery. Your ABS adapter is very solid on it. It actually feels stronger than the actual mounting adapter it comes with, although that one has a little wider surface. I'll know more when I get a couple night rides in, but my initial impression is very positive. The aluminum adapters are on my next order for sure

mtbr member
    May 2005
    OK, maybe I'm just being a bit too conservative about the ABS adapter. I have had one user report that theirs broke at the mount screw hole. That was on an early one that had a deeper counterbore so the original mounting screw would always work. That user also explained that he may have tightened it too tight. Anyway that has been the only failure reported to me. After hearing of that failure I eliminated the counterbore. This will require most users fit a longer screw, but that seems a minor inconvenience in exchange for better reliability.

If anyone else has had one of my adapters break, or suggestions for improvements, please let me know. I try to use all feedback about them to work on improvements. As an example, I recently found out that due to a curved mounting surface on an MS 880 my original design worked poorly if at all. I was able to borrow an original 880 mount from one of my customers to use as a pattern to cut a matching curve and cable exit in the adapter. I sent the prototype to him for trial fitting this week. Once that is tested, MS 880 users will have a better solution to use a GoPro mount.

mtbr member
    I think you should set up an online store, or at least sell them on eBay. There seems to be a big market.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast