mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Magicshine battery cutouts

Hi guys,
    I bought 2 sets of 900 lumen magicshines from the now defunt singletrack.com website last year. I tend to run one on the bars with the battery under the stem and the other on my helmet with the battery in my camelback.

The issue is that first one then the other battery has developed an issue whereby it just completely turns off if subjected to a knock; the only way to remedy this is to disconnect and then reconnect it. Then everything is fine until the next time. I was able to isolate the issue to one battery through a process of elimination and following which I always ran that one in my backpack where it receives less jolts. However the second one started doing it this evening.

In every other way the lights are fine. It seems like it might be a loose connection? Any ideas?
    cheers
    HT

mtbr member
    These batteries are being recalled/replaced by Geomangear.com

Magicshine Lights Announcement
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks - I was expecting an email, but the last one I got was the one below. I bought them from abroad (Australia) so maybe I am not covered?:

sales@thesingletrackstore.com to noreply
    show details 11/23/10

Interim Safety Notice regarding Magicshine Batteries

The Singletrack Store is no longer in business and has not been since early 2010.

We have very recently become aware of concerns regarding the safety, quality, and performance of Magicshine's lithium-ion battery packs. We have determined that these Magicshine battery packs do not meet our high expectations regarding product safety, quality, and performance. Both the manufacturer of Magicshine lightsets and the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission have been notified and a voluntarily recall will be conducted.

If you bought a Magicshine lightset from The Singletrack Store, please discontinue using your lightset until we are able to provide you with an upgraded replacement battery pack or another recall remedy.

Despite our best efforts, this process will take some time, and we ask for your patience. You can rest assured that we have taken, and will continue to take, appropriate steps to protect the safety of our customers. You will receive additional information regarding this issue from other sources including the US Safety Commission; your customer contact information has been provided to the necessary parties for your benefit.

If you have changed your address since your purchase please send your updated address info to sales@thesingletrackstore.com

removing nudity
    You are only covered if you bought them from Geoman.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26
    You are only covered if you bought them from Geoman.
    Geoman is thesingletrackstore
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

removing nudity
    well there you go, you learn something new every day.

I read the "I bought them from abroad (Australia)" to mean he bought them from one of the many resellers down here.