mtbr member
    Jun 2010

magicshine 816 spot issue - anyone???????

I have a different problem that someone (hopefully) can help me with. I have a magicshine 816 also, and it worked properly for 6-8 times. Last time I tried to use it, the lights did NOT blink one time like they normally do when you plug it in and the main spot light (the center one) remains lit at a very dim level regardless of the setting. Pressing the button turns the two flood lights on and off and holding it continuously will progressively dim them as it should. No matter what pattern I press the button, the spot light stays dimly lit as long as the battery in plugged in. Anyone know what to do????? Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This thread.....

MagicShine 1400 Deconstructed

has loads of technical info regarding the MS816 and how it is built. Post 45 has a great description of how the driver works. I have not worked on an 816 but of the two MS lights that I did work on, both had broken leads on the inductor (circular gadget with coils of wire wrapped around it). The other likely failure point is that MS used very under-rated current sense resistors. The linked thread has quite a bit of discussion about that problem as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I will check out that link, thanks very much for the info!!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    By very dim on the center do you mean it just sort of glows slightly?

If the led is just sort of a light glowing square then it is probably fried. If it is coming on "low" then that is a driver issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It is emitting light, just not that much (like a flashlight with a low battery) . What would you suggest to try if it is a driver issue?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    check all wire connections from the driver to the led. Look for a short that might be pulling current from the led.

Would be nice to be able to check the current going to the led or desoldering the led and hooking it up to a known good driver.

If you are not into building these things then consider returning it or replacing it.

Driver issue in my book would call for a light replacement.