mtbr member

Magic shine wiring

Hi.
    I have a 3-bulb Magic Shine light with the lit-up button for mounting on handlebars.
    There are 3 modes. The light changes color based on the charge remaining in the battery.
    Anyhow, the wires broke <1 cm after coming out of the control button.
    There is not enough room for splicing and so I need to learn how to solder...
    but in the mean time I want to use the light tonight.
    There are 4 wires: black, white, yellow and red. I'm assuming that the black is power source and the other three corresponds to the 3 modes of operation. Yea?
    I'm thinking that if I just connect the black wire with one of the other wires and plug in to the battery I'll be good to go in single mode action. With some tape to hold it together.

See any problems with this?

thanks much.
    b

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Tape will not hold. You can maybe take it to a small electronic repair place and they can solider up for a few buks

mtbr member
    May 2005

No good

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    There are 4 wires: black, white, yellow and red. I'm assuming that the black is power source and the other three corresponds to the 3 modes of operation. Yea?
    I'm thinking that if I just connect the black wire with one of the other wires and plug in to the battery I'll be good to go in single mode action. With some tape to hold it together.

See any problems with this?

thanks much.
    b
    I have not worked on your model of magicshine, but I am sure you do not have the correct idea of how the wiring for the switch is arranged. This is what I suspect. One of your wires is ground. One of the wires is the momentary switch input to the driver to cycle through the modes. One wire is one color of power level. The last wire is the other color of power level indication. Pretty easy to figure out with a multimeter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    I have not worked on your model of magicshine, but I am sure you do not have the correct idea of how the wiring for the switch is arranged. This is what I suspect. One of your wires is ground. One of the wires is the momentary switch input to the driver to cycle through the modes. One wire is one color of power level. The last wire is the other color of power level indication. Pretty easy to figure out with a multimeter.
    Ditto.

If you can't solder, I'm guessing you don't have a multimeter for electrical testing either. not a dig, just saying you could screw things up a bit more by guessing what you think everything is.

The wiring you have is for a momentary switch, and for the status LED's. But what is what is the question.

you can help us help you by posting a pic of what you've got to work with, and what model Magicshine you have - are you working on a 816:

A buddy of mine has one without the remote - but if needed he'd prolly let me dig into it.

Where are you located - one of us might be willing to help you out if you're localish.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    For modding, or just trouble shooting anything electronic, a multimeter is really a "must have". If you have the budget an entry level Fluke would be my preference, but you really don't need anything fancy for simple/quick checks.

Will

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    here's the inside of that remote switch. Unfortunately, there's a whole lot more inside that housing than I was expecting - it actually appears that theres some of the light's processing function in this housing.

I would suggest opening yours up and soldering everything back where it goes. Maybe squeeze a zip tie in as strain relief.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    here's the inside of that remote switch. Unfortunately, there's a whole lot more inside that housing than I was expecting - it actually appears that theres some of the light's processing function in this housing.

I would suggest opening yours up and soldering everything back where it goes. Maybe squeeze a zip tie in as strain relief.

Adrenalnjunky, I just opened up my switch and have an issue putting it back together. The rubber button was held in place by another metal internal piece. I can't remember how it went back in. Does your's have this extra metal holder? I don't see it in these photos.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Those pics I found on the internet without having to open one up. Pics of what you have might help.

I might be able to borrow my buddy's and take it apart if you can't figure it out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have a different problem that someone (hopefully) can help me with. I have a magicshine 816 also, and it worked properly for 6-8 times. Last time I tried to use it, the lights did NOT blink one time like they normally do when you plug it in and the main spot light (the center one) remains lit at a very dim level regardless of the setting. Pressing the button turns the two flood lights on and off and holding it continuously will progressively dim them as it should. No matter what pattern I press the button, the spot light stays dimly lit as long as the battery in plugged in. Anyone know what to do????? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Adrenaln,

The problem i had was the black piece to the right of the switch assembly in this photo (borrowed from odtexas)

After i took it out, i couldn't remember how it went back in. I think it goes back in the assembly in the orientation that it is in the photo and the button top goes on top. At least that how i finally put it back together and so far it works.