Thread: machining

maker of trail

machining

this is interesting, prices seem reasonable too.

www.emachineshop.com

Free cad and instant pricing of machined parts!

This certainly opens up the possibilities!!!

(note it looks like spam but really its a DIY'er forwarding what looks like a very useful service!!! I have no affiliation with this place, but I'm definitely going to give it a try!)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by essenmeinstuff
    this is interesting, prices seem reasonable too.

www.emachineshop.com

Free cad and instant pricing of machined parts!

This certainly opens up the possibilities!!!

(note it looks like spam but really its a DIY'er forwarding what looks like a very useful service!!! I have no affiliation with this place, but I'm definitely going to give it a try!)
    Thanks! Interesting. Now I need to learn how to draw the models... Can someone show his design and quotation from this shop?

mtbr member
    They are expensive if you only make a single piece.
    Itess, it's free to download and get a quote. The software is pretty simple to use too. You must specify what machine cuts what. Less machines equals cheaper part.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by piesoup
    They are expensive if you only make a single piece.
    Itess, it's free to download and get a quote. The software is pretty simple to use too. You must specify what machine cuts what. Less machines equals cheaper part.
    This thing (OD=30mm, ID = 20mm) costs $36 (each) if you make 8. I would better buy my own CNC...

Without any CNC I am able to do something like this:

Carbon8er
    I have a CNC machine, but my 3 axis CNC could not make anything like that.

Maybe if I paused the CNC machine and spun the part 16 times so that I could cut every groove as it was at top dead center.

Looks to me like a very expensive 4th axis CNC machine or a CNC/Lathe would be required.
    $36 each is really cheap and seems like a deal.

If I had a 4th axis machine, that part would be $100 so I could pay for the machine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by El34
    I have a CNC machine, but my 3 axis CNC could not make anything like that.

Maybe if I paused the CNC machine and spun the part 16 times so that I could cut every groove as it was at top dead center.

Looks to me like a very expensive 4th axis CNC machine or a CNC/Lathe would be required.
    $36 each is really cheap and seems like a deal.

If I had a 4th axis machine, that part would be $100 so I could pay for the machine.
    Man, you are kidding me? I am doing exactly that part with a table saw and dremel. I will show you next week when it's ready.

Carbon8er
    Yes, I am talking about the cost of operating a CNC machine which cost way more than my table saw cost.

$36 is very cheap.

Plus, that photo looks like a table saw made it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yes, I am talking about the cost of operating a CNC machine which cost way more than my table saw cost.

$36 is very cheap.

Plus, that photo looks like a table saw made it.
    Yeah, this one is not the final part, just some experiment. Actually, this one was thrown away. I am using a table saw, then dremel + workstation + dividing head + compound table. Dividing head is set in horizontal position.

Carbon8er
    Looks like a heap-o-labor, and a cool looking part for sure.
    I love fins

mtbr member
    May 2005

$36 is very cheap.
    Absolutely right. A machine shop is going to want a minimum of $50/hr for machine time for a mill with rotary capability. The time to program it, set it up, run the first part, check it, then make any adjustments, is more than most people think. The time to run the remaining 7 parts is minimal in comparison. Get a quote for a hundred pieces, they'll be much less per part.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    Absolutely right. A machine shop is going to want a minimum of $50/hr for machine time for a mill with rotary capability. The time to program it, set it up, run the first part, check it, then make any adjustments, is more than most people think. The time to run the remaining 7 parts is minimal in comparison. Get a quote for a hundred pieces, they'll be much less per part.
    Anyway, this is not for hobby, this is for (not so cheap) production. I don't need 100 pieces for one light.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Itess
    Anyway, this is not for hobby, this is for (not so cheap) production. I don't need 100 pieces for one light.
    Exactly, the machine shop is not making parts as a hobby. They are in the business of production for profit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    Exactly, the machine shop is not making parts as a hobby. They are in the business of production for profit.
    I understand that, but then I have to order at least 16 of this kind of parts and 8 of another kind to make 8 lights. And each case will cost about $120 only for machining, other parts I will need to make myself. And this is without handlebar mount. This is really expensive, who buys such a light?

maker of trail
    I think the part you (Itess) designed there looks like it would take at least 3 passes per slot to cut.

If you made each slot rectangular rather than trapezoid and the size of a standard cutter, you might find that the part price drops.

The service that teh emc place offers is not for everyone, but considering that you have almost every conceivable machining/production process at your fingertips with relative ease for very reasonable prices its nothing short of awesome!

And even as it is, $36each is cheap for a custom machined part!

Personally I'm excited about this

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Itess
    Yeah, this one is not the final part, just some experiment. Actually, this one was thrown away. I am using a table saw, then dremel + workstation + dividing head + compound table. Dividing head is set in horizontal position.
    How many hours total would it take you to make one finished part?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    How many hours total would it take you to make one finished part?
    Many. Mostly because of very weak tools. Imagining that I can do those grooves in one pass -- that would be much faster. So, there's no comparison.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I think the part you (Itess) designed there looks like it would take at least 3 passes per slot to cut.

If you made each slot rectangular rather than trapezoid and the size of a standard cutter, you might find that the part price drops.
    They are rectangular. I mean each fin is rectangular.

maker of trail
    if you cut each slot with a table saw then the slot will be rectangular and the fins will be wider near the tip then they are at the base, this is what I mean, and it is not what you have drawn!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    if you cut each slot with a table saw then the slot will be rectangular and the fins will be wider near the tip then they are at the base, this is what I mean, and it is not what you have drawn!
    I have drown what I have already partially done. I need to finish a few more fins. Hopefully, this weekend.

Members who have read this thread: 0